• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105

jeepmanjim

hi guys i have an 86 cj7 258 strait six and i am currently in the process of planning an off road camper build do you guys think my jeep could handle an m105 off road?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tail may be wagging the dog. Weight empty is around #2700 and a high center of gravity for the Jeep. Pulling an m105 with a Blazer is a task, I couldn't imagine pulling it with a Jeep. Off road is only worse. Don't be baited by the cheap price, spring for the M101A2.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed a M103 trailer (the older brother to the M105, same size, just missing the body) behind my Dodge Durango one-way back in 2009. I KNEW it was there, in other words, the trailer was heavy and wanted to go it's own direction side by side the whole way home, I kept it under 45 to prevent an accident. If my SUV had trouble, your Jeep will have it too. The M105 was meant for a deuce-and-a-half truck, 13,500 lbs of it. The only folks in a 4wd vehicle who wouldn't have much of an issue are owners of dually pickups.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our site rules require a state listed in your location.

And, absolutely not.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have to say no.

I pulled one empty with my suburban a few times. It weighs as much as my 16' car trailer and has air/hydraulic brakes, the suburban does not. I honestly feel safer pulling the car trailer with the M105 on it.

I will throw this out there...
If you are interested in a project, you could unbolt the tub and get rid if the running gear. Then build a lighter frame with electric brakes. Possibly even take a sawzall and trench a foot or so out of the middle of the tub to narrow it up and weld it back together. You'll have the military look and still have a 9' long bed.

kawkev

They are right. The M105 is quite a bit much for the CJ. I have a TJ and you know the 101 is back there so the 105 would probably be a nightmare. Just my opinion. Where in La. are you? If you need, there are 101s out there you can get for a decent price depending on the shape of the trailer you want. A little rust and wear can be fixed easily enough. You may not want to chance pulling the 105 with the CJ.

jeepmanjim

30 minutes east of houma

and ya ive been wanting to do this build for a while my plan is to be able to put my 4 wheeler on the inside with a tool box up fron and use a rooftop tent and the trailer just as long as it can be pulled

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say even a M101 is almost too big to be behind a CJ7. The military only pulled 1/4 ton trailers behind jeeps. I've only got a CJ5 but I've pulled a loaded M416 1/4 ton trailer and it's all the CJ wanted. If you went with a 3/4 ton you need a M101a2 with surge brakes.

If you tried to off-road a M105 behind a CJ7 you'd make it to the bottom of the first hill (if you made it up the hill in the first place). The pile at the bottom wouldn't be pretty.

jeepmanjim

I'd say even a M101 is almost too big to be behind a CJ7. The military only pulled 1/4 ton trailers behind jeeps. I've only got a CJ5 but I've pulled a loaded M416 1/4 ton trailer and it's all the CJ wanted. If you went with a 3/4 ton you need a M101a2 with surge brakes.

If you tried to off-road a M105 behind a CJ7 you'd make it to the bottom of the first hill (if you made it up the hill in the first place). The pile at the bottom wouldn't be pretty.

whats the bed size on the m416?

3dAngus

M105 behind a jeep?

Not unless you want to blow your head gasket.

Or get pushed out into the speeding traffic at the stop sign.

The M101 at 1000 pounds lighter might be a load, even unloaded, but at least it has surge brakes.
Best bet? Find a friend in the local area and try pulling the M101 first and see how it performs.
You really should have a good 8cylinder for pulling and more robust brakes for stopping, but the Ford large straight six might even be better then a small v-8.

And on the M 416. Buy an ounce of pure gold.
Give it away for a rust filled M416. Then put a thousand in manpower and parts in it.
Or...Buy a M101a2 for $500 to $900, depending on how it is equipped.
TheM416 is the way to go if you can afford it or find a duper good deal. Today it is one of the most sought after trailers, but . That raises the price of things . I would love to have one but pound for pound it is going to start out at 5can any other on the market.
Good luck with the hunt.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a M105 behind a 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup. Pulls great, hard to stop quickly, but the angle is too great to be really useful. Second photo is a M101 trailer behind the same 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup - much better match.

Picture 001.jpgIMAG0046.jpg

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone here is speaking from logic and are correct in that a M101A2 is a far better fit for a Jeep than an M105. The M101A2 will still be a little too high for a jeep but that can be changed with the proper hitch. The M105 does fall within the limits of a properly outfitted Jeep for on-road non-highway speed travel. Off-road with a load..not a chance. Sure it looks funky but moving it down the road like that Jeep is perfectly fine. I speak from experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks