• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A1 Trailer??

IBEZKUM

Anyone Know,
How a M105A1, 1.05 ton Trailer,
Would Mate Up to a M1008, Want to carry Lincoln Ranger 8,
Need's to be within 15 degrees of level, for proper oil splash,
And Other assorted Welding type stuff.
I guess what I'm Askin Is, what size wheels does it have??
Will it sit fairly level, or have that big dip, at the hitch!!

Thanks

Jetnoise400

I do believe the M105 trailers all run the 20" wheels... same as the deuce. That would mean one great big dip at the hitch...

I don't even want to think about how you'd ever stop that thing. :shock: The brakes on the M105 are air actuated... got compressor?

I think the M101 would be the most mil-trailer you could safely pull with your 1008 IMHO.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sean is right on. As a matter of fact if you can find the M101A1 it will have surge brakes and the exact same wheel/tire combo as the ten-0-eight. If you're M1008 has HMMWV wheels and tires as I've seen a few times, Shop for the M101A2. It had 8 lug stuff as well but the axles were a little wider to compensate for the HMMWV wheels and tires. Your ten-0-eight with the M101A1 is a great combination vehicle.

IBEZKUM

Thanks for the info, This is, The place for answers!!!
I just saw a M105A1, Close by, Just tryin to figure out,
If I Should jump on it or Not, I think knot is the answer!!!
I'll keep my eye out,, or Build one, But Thanks for the Replys!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to you know, even if you could get it level, it's 2800# empty and there's no real easy way to get brakes without air. Good trailers but not for every application.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105 series trailers are designed for towing behind 2.5 tons and larger. They all have air brakes. Putting one behind a CUCV, HMMWV, or civy truck would be a BAD IDEA, as they dont have air brakes.

The M101 series, especially the M101A2/M116A2's with the surge brakes, now thats the way to go. It was designed for the smaller NON air brake trucks.

yuck...

I work for a company that has surge brakes on all it's trailers...trust me when i say this...as a rule surge brakes are possibly the worst trailer braking system ever invented.Last year i logged over 30,000 km's pulling these POS trailers.I hated them from the start.
Why? two reasons...The lag time between truck braking and trailer braking and backing up on rough ground.The lag is the worst,especially with a slightly loose pintle...that little lag in the braking action sends your heavily loaded trailer into your truck with a good smack under heavy braking,then the trailer brakes kick in with force(they can't be modulated).
That little hit dosn't mean much on dry roads,but try it in heavy rain in a curve...or on an icy road(we pull year round).It gives "exciting" a whole new meaning.We lost 3 trailers over 2 years,just to this lag effect.
(each one with equipment worth 130,000 $ can)
And backing up? when you push back on the hitch it locks the brakes when the trailer tires catch up on something.Mud/sand/gravel or any soft or rocky ground will have you pulling out hair in short order.A great trailer in theory,but the surge brakes would be the first thing to go if i had one. It is now company policy that we can't tow in any snow or ice conditions,and only with one ton trucks.
Trailer weight,by the way is only 8,000 lbs.

lacoda56

Gotta agree with Ambulancechaser on this one, surge brakes are a good theory, but they suck in use! I don't know about other states, but they've been outlawed on any trailer in commercial use in Wis. for about 5 years now. I gotta believe private use will be next. Anyone ever converted a military trailer to electric brakes?

IBEZKUM

I found a trailer, Think I took Your Advice!!
It not a military trailer but a good match for my truck.
4'x9' Cargo Box 14' over all,
Coil spring torsion axel and electric brakes.
It was eight feet in the air, on a scrap heap!
Missing it's tongue, found it in the weeds.
welded it on yesterday, in the pourin rain
(Only got womped a few times) and towed it home!
Gonna go power wash it and my truck right now!!
Thanks for your advice!!

Attachments

Desert Rat

THAT'S the way to go! My car carrier has electric brakes and I LOVE them! Surge brakes bite the big wazoo!!! IMOA I believe the surge brakes are more a hazard than a solution.

BTW, IBZ, Generals only make $120/month here on good months! :)

rizzo

Desert Rat said:
THAT'S the way to go! My car carrier has electric brakes and I LOVE them! Surge brakes bite the big wazoo!!! IMOA I believe the surge brakes are more a hazard than a solution.

BTW, IBZ, Generals only make $120/month here on good months! :)
what would you do on boat trailers?

dilvoy

I was never a fan of the surge brake either, but i like them better than no brakes. Does anyone know of a electric unit that will interface with the hydraulic brakes on the service brake equiped M101's?

NEIOWA

dilvoy said:
I was never a fan of the surge brake either, but i like them better than no brakes. Does anyone know of a electric unit that will interface with the hydraulic brakes on the service brake equiped M101's?
Or an electric/servo conversion for the mil air over hydraulic system (as M105/dollys/misc trailers. I've been looking for some time. I'm coming to the conclusion there is no such kit available (but that perhaps the world needs one). Anyone interested?

CCATLETT1984

couldn't you just mount a small compressor and air tank on the trailer and use an electric valve to hit the brakes? would have to keep the pressure low enough not to lock up the brakes though.

Hookin1

CCATLETT1984 said:
couldn't you just mount a small compressor and air tank on the trailer and use an electric valve to hit the brakes? would have to keep the pressure low enough not to lock up the brakes though.

if you did that it would be easier to mount it on the truck and add an air brake valve to your pedal linkage under the dash. then just put a hose out the back on a quickcoupler.

CCATLETT1984

I don't see why this trailer would be too heavy for his truck to pull and stop with the load that he wants to put on it. That welder can't weigh more than 1000 to 1200 lbs. + trailer weight should be well within the limits for the truck. sure trailer brakes would make it so you wouldn't have to take the extra stopping distance into account, but it should be a safe combo to pull. although the wheel difference would be an issue, unless the truck had bigger skins on it and that would open up a whole new realm of braking inadiquacy