• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Axle Spec/replacement suggestions

IronBardinForge

Does anyone happen to have the M105A2 Axle length from hub to hub or have a part number for a replacement axle? I was trying to keep the original but it's looking like the 12 bolt pattern for the breaks is an odd ball pattern so an axle swap is my next option.

IronBardinForge

This begs a photo, M105's usually have a 6-bolt Budd hub just like that on a deuce & 1/2.

DG
It's 6 at the wheels but 12 at the brake assembly to the axle and that's where I'm finding an issue. I've half thought about seeing if I can change over the hydraulics on the stock brake assembly to electric but I'm not even sure if that's an option.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about an Electric-Over-Hydraulic controller (12-volt)? That way you could use a standard trailer plug to tow it…the hydraulic brakes are pretty effective on these trailers.

As stated in other threads, you can get 6-lug Budd wheels in other, smaller sizes to use modern tubeless radial tires (19.5” being best option for capacity, availability, and low profile)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kind of a toss up between using an electric over hydraulic controller over replacing the axle.

Replacing the axle lets you switch the bolt pattern to something else pretty easily (you're kind of forced to) and then you can match the tires to the tow vehicle. It also lowers the weight a little, as the original axle is pretty darned heavy. Replacement parts later on will also be easier to source.

installing an electric over hydraulic keeps the original hardware, so less work involved. The units are expensive though. Decent ones start around $1k, and for that price you can probably do the axle swap AND a set of wheels/tires to fit it (cheap steel wheels and trailer tires) It also makes it easy to go back to the original military configuration if you care about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks