• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2 Component Weights

ChrisInSantaFe

De-lurking, thanks for all the info. I've got an M105a2 waiting for EUC (also an M101a2, both really nice condition - sorry, didn't take my camera to the preview). Not sure what to do with the M105 just yet, but I was considering mods to make it feasible to use with a civvy 1 ton. Does anyone have an idea of how much weight would come off if I removed the OEM undercarriage, including springs, landing gear, brake system and electrics? I can calculate the weight of replacement parts (probably mobile home axle). Thanks!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
105 trailer weighs almost 2500 pounds. What you are talking about is probably a net of about 800 pounds, mainly in the axle and tires. Replacing the bed with a piece of tin would probably drop the weight another several hundred pounds, but by the time you got through, you could have purchased something ready to go for less (if your sweat equity has any value at all).2cents

blybrook

I'm stripping mine down right now in preparation for a 6k electric brake, 4" drop axle to be put in. With the brake system, landing gear and axle / wheels gone, I'm estimating that I've dropped about 700 lbs. I have no intention to remove the electric system as it's working just fine; but it would only drop about 20 - 30 lbs. Dropping the racks / bows gets you another 50 lbs or so, but they should be on there for some loads.

I tow it with my F250 Diesel crew cab, filled with a 350 gallon water tank (3k lbs). It towed just fine with the stock setup, but I prefer to have better braking control.

So it's feasible to use stock with your truck no problem. You'll just be wanting better braking control.

drivebymashing

Has anyone weighed indivudal components of the m105? Like the landing gear and brake parts? I think the 900x20 wheels and tire assembly is 170#. Mine has the 1100x20 which i think are 190 each. I bought my 105 cheap so for me to sell it and buy a 101 is out of the question. I have an 1101 also I would like to get my 105 close to 1800 ish pounds. I have lowered the m1101 5 inches using stock tires. Im going to axle flip the 105 using isuzu wheels I think I can get the same bed height around 29 inches level.

red

Considering that it's a 1 ton pickup, even at max load the m105 is well within the weight rating the truck can handle safely with trailer brakes. Swap the axle to one with brakes that the truck can operate, get the lights taken care of, and good to go.

oregonfirefighter

Hope this helps... I got a water buffalo with a 107a2 under it ( I think same running gear) I removed stock axle and the tongue jack. Replaced with an electric braked 7,000# axle, put a 2500# after market tongue jack on and installed a spare under the tongue. I netted a 780# reduction in weight.

drivebymashing

Im looking to get this trailer under 2k for sure. The isuzu wheels i put on im thinking saved 150 pounds plus drums and all. Im going to weigh it after I figure out how to remove backing plates and shoes. I really want to axle flip it also with removing overload springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks