• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Hitch/Brake conversion.

ecotrek

I just brought home my first M105A2 trailer Wednesday from Ft. Bragg.
It is a 1966 model, remanufactured in 2010 not put into service since and in perfect condition.
I own and operate two companies, cast stone manufacturing and design and manufacturing all terrain camper trailers, Ecotrek Camper.

The trailer will be used to deliver stone and material to job sites, towed by me Dodge 3500 diesel dually.

I want to share the the members the hitch/brake conversion I performed on this trailer.

I removed the lunette ring, all the air over hydraulic brake system and the 85 pound landing gear.
I welded a 3 inch by 3 inch by 1/4 inch tubing to the bottom of the A frame.
PB020438.jpgPB020442.jpgPB020443.jpgPB020444.jpgPB020452.jpgPB020455.jpgPB020456.jpg
I then bolted an Atwood 82543 hydraulic brake actuator to the tubing.
Then a Ram JDS07-28PP drop foot 8000 pound jack was welded to the side of the A frame.
The bottom of the hitch measures 29.5 inches from the ground, a very manageable height.
Rubber hydraulic brake line was run from the actuator to the existing brake line at the axle.
Of course, I wired a 7 blade trailer plug to the original trailer wire, completing the conversion.
Now the trailer can be towed with any large civilian truck with ease and lightened up the tongue weight by about 100 pounds!
I hope this helps anyone who is considering doing a conversion to their M105A2.

ecotrek

Great question!
The landing gear had to be removed because the radial movement of the "gear" would interfere with the 3x3 tubing.
Losing the 85 pounds was just a plus for hitch weight!
Of course, I will miss the jockey wheel for pushing the trailer around on pavement.
It was a sacrifice I had to suffer to convert the hitch and braking system for civilian use and to make it DOT legal with the breakaway brake.

3dAngus

That IS very nice. I have always been a big believer there is money to be made in this kind of conversion.
The tires might have to be more of the M1061 style and lower then the 9X20s on the A2's.
I would love to own one like that but lack welding skills.

ecotrek

3dAngus, Thank you! Our company possesses the tools and skills to do things like we have done with the M105A2. I feel very fortunate to be in that position and of course we would be willing to help others with their conversions. I totally agree with you about the height of the trailer, although, the trailer bed and my truck bed are at the same level. It looks pretty good in my opinion and the rig has attracted a lot of attention around here!
Harleyhouse, thank you, too! As soon as I get the inside of the bed sprayed with bedliner, I will be happy to post some "loaded Photos". I will also say, you have done an excellent job on your unit and it is great to see the trailer re-purposed.

PB050469.jpgPB050470.jpg

pontiacman

Nice job! I'm converting an M105A2 right now also. This is valuable info since it is my first conversion. I really like keeping the existing brake setup. Thank you for the great info!

ecotrek

Pontiacman,
Thank you....if you have any question, please feel free to ask.
By the way, the brakes work absolutely great!! The reverse lockout feature on the Atwood system is necessary to make the conversion complete.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ecotrek, some of the guys have bolted the tail lights on upside down for better visibility. Not sure if you care or not, just throwing it out there. There is also LED tail lights that offer much ,ore light output than the stock ones and they are 10-30 volt compatible.

ecotrek

gimpyrobb,
Thank you for the tip. Do you have a particular manufacturer and/or part number for the LED lights?
It si great to know what other guys are doing with their military hardware.

ecotrek

gimpyrobb,

I took your advise and added to 6 inch LED tail/brake/turn lights to the rear of the trailer.
They are much brighter!PB150566.jpg

pontiacman

I went to six robbles and bought a Titan 7000lb surge brake actuator. Have not installed it yet though. Being that the trailer has "free wheel" in reverse, I shouldn't need a reverse lockout according to them. It's a very nice actuator. just have to get the brake line, 3X3 square tubing, weld it up and bleed.
Quick question about the landing gear. Did you have a hard time removing the main mounting bolt that goes through the frame? I'm having a heck of a time getting it out.

Thanks for any info!

Pontiacman

ecotrek

Pontiacman,

My trailer is a 1966 and for whatever the reason, I had to go with a hitch with a reverse lockout.
I know that with my set up, if I do not engage the lockout, the brakes lock up....skid marks!!!
I may be wrong but you may find the same situation. I think the axle is only free wheeling with the stock setup.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

The nut on landing gear loosened up without WD 40 or heat...must have been lucky.
Sorry, no tips here...my suggestion is keep soaking it in penetrating oil.
I had a bad time with the lunette nut...I had to cut it off with my plasma torch!
I actually bent the handle on my forged Rigid pipe wrench!!

I connected the brake line to the stock rubber hose coming off the tee at the axle.
I had my local NAPA store make up a custom brake hose. I think it ended up being about 85 inches long.

I hope all this helps.

pontiacman

Thanks a bunch. I was able to remove the rest of the landing gear this afternoon. Had to beat the cr*p out of it, combined with a torch, to get it out. Was rusted solid! lol
Thanks for the great info. I'll keep you posted on the actuator.

Pontiacman

pontiacman

Ecotrek! Long time! I took your advice and went with an Atwood actuator with the reverse lockout. Hooked up a brake line this last weekend and took her for a spin to check my welds test the brakes and all went well! No problems at all. Brakes work great! Ill post my conversion soon.

Got a question : what jack did you use? Brand, length. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Pontiacman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks