• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Landing Gear Problem

Campdog

Hello all, I just purchased an M105A2 from DLA. The landing gear does not fully extend to a right angle. It locks into place but I believe there is supposed to be a big washer between the gear assembly and the trailer frame but the TM we have for the M105A2 on Steel Soldiers does not depict it as part of the assembly. Also, I took the bolt off the spindle to remove the assembly and check it. When I reinserted the spindle, a bushing near at the top of the channel for the spindle came apart as I tapped the spindle back in place. So, I need a big washer as well as that bushing. Can't find replacements anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Campdog

Whats the date on the TM? If its not at least Oct. 1990, let me know. I can upload it. If its newer, I will look around.
Thank you. The 1990 version is what I was using. I’ll try and get some photos of the loose assembly. The TM does not show the top of the spindle with the nut/washer combo that’s there.

tobyS

See the bolt that the entire caster assembly pivots on? Look down it and see if all the surfaces are at 90* or if it's bent around that bolt . They get bent sideways and have to be taken apart, straightened and reassembled so that they will go fully into the up stored position and the down locked position. Another way is to watch the holes that the pins extend into as you pivot into the locked position....are the pins centered on those holes as it's rotated?

Attachments

Campdog

See the bolt that the entire caster assembly pivots on? Look down it and see if all the surfaces are at 90* or if it's bent around that bolt . They get bent sideways and have to be taken apart, straightened and reassembled so that they will go fully into the up stored position and the down locked position. Another way is to watch the holes that the pins extend into as you pivot into the locked position....are the pins centered on those holes as it's rotated?
First off, that is a great looking trailer you made. Secondly, I discovered that the entire pintle is loose from the mount. Here's a photo of the replacement part. The spindle on my trailer slides free when I take the nut off and they welded a washer to the nut. Here's a photo of the new part.Trailer Spindle.jpg

Here's what the top and bottom of my trailer spindle looks like. Is this the normal place the pin stops when the nut is tightened? How many threads show up above the nut? This is probably why the assembly won't rotate properly and leans when it's spun at certain angles and terrain affects the pressure on the spindle.
Trailer spindle above.jpgTrailer spindle below.jpg

tobyS

Sure Ted, the body has broken free of the pin part of the weldment.

You are replacing the broken weldment with the part in the photo above. That should do it.

Re the tightness, it should turn freely and only be tightened to keep it in place.

I expect a welder could repair yours, but if you have located a new one...that's great.

Oh...and welcome to the site!

Campdog

Thank you for your help! Your time is much appreciated as I endeavor to make my trailer great again. It will carry tires and tools for the M925 when we go to shows.

tobyS

Make it "great again"?? ...I'm not sure they were ever "great" but they were made in abundance and when sliced. make great components to other projects. Here is the bed...sold it so the guy could finish it while I was out of town. He was ready to put the dump setup on it for wood hauling with a pickup.

Axles can be dualed but they are 1" over the legal limit:

Attachments

Campdog

Make it "great again"?? ...I'm not sure they were ever "great" but they were made in abundance and when sliced. make great components to other projects. Here is the bed...sold it so the guy could finish it while I was out of town. He was ready to put the dump setup on it for wood hauling with a pickup.

Very nice work, perfect for the job at hand. My trailer was $408 from Govt Planet. For the robust nature of these trailers, well worth the money. I can see why you choose to use them as platforms for other functions.

Guyfang

Staff member

In the early 70's, the Army did not use the dual wheel setup on the M105 trailer. Then, I believe in about 1977, my unit was out on REFORGER, and an untrained, inexperienced young soldier was ordered to drive a fuel tanker, (M813 drop-side) towing a M105 trailer with a 600 gallon fuel tank mounted in the trailer. He went into a corner too fast, (brakes were not good on the truck) and the trailer rolled over onto a VW bug going in the other direction. Driver was pinned in, and the fuel caught fire. Among all the other causes for the accident, and they were many, the fact that the fuel pod was half full, (the fuel was swept to one side of the fuel pod/trailer) and sitting too high on the trailer, causing the center of balance to be altered. In retrospect, someone should have seen this problem coming. In the next year, this type of accident happened several more times here in Europe. And had happened before. Every unit in the Army was using this setup. The Army's, (TACOM) answer to the problem, duals.

Campdog

In the early 70's, the Army did not use the dual wheel setup on the M105 trailer. Then, I believe in about 1977, my unit was out on REFORGER, and an untrained, inexperienced young soldier was ordered to drive a fuel tanker, (M813 drop-side) towing a M105 trailer with a 600 gallon fuel tank mounted in the trailer. He went into a corner too fast, (brakes were not good on the truck) and the trailer rolled over onto a VW bug going in the other direction. Driver was pinned in, and the fuel caught fire. Among all the other causes for the accident, and they were many, the fact that the fuel pod was half full, (the fuel was swept to one side of the fuel pod/trailer) and sitting too high on the trailer, causing the center of balance to be altered. In retrospect, someone should have seen this problem coming. In the next year, this type of accident happened several more times here in Europe. And had happened before. Every unit in the Army was using this setup. The Army's, (TACOM) answer to the problem, duals.
Thanks for the insight. It seems as though all of our technical guidance has some pages “written in blood.” Some advice I received early on in the USAF is that when you’re planning a mission and there is an opportunity to do something dumb, dangerous, or different, think about it carefully. Poor young soldier in this case asked to do something that probably bordered on all three things. Great history lesson you have for all of us who have as much experience driving our antique trucks with M105 trailers as the soldier in this story.

Guyfang

Staff member
There is a, "rest of the story" to this. The driver, young, inexperienced, untrained and scared of the truck and driving, was set up to take the fall for the accident. The Motor Sargent and a young and dumb Second Lieutenant, had been ordered to Brake test all vehicles and trailers in the unit. They in fact did not. One of the trucks tested, was the fuel truck, and it failed. The Motor Sargent ordered the young man to drive it anyway. After the accident, the Motor Sargent and LT, went back to the motor pool to forge up paper work. They were going to make it look like the truck had passed. I was in the rear area at the time, to bring two soldiers back who were sick. I stopped by my office, to get some parts I had left behind, and heard the two bozos making up their story, and framing this young soldier. I had a shotgun, (assistant driver) with me, who also heard the whole thing. After long enough to hear the plan, I stepped in, pointed my finger at them and explained that I would not only go to the MP's, but would call the I.G.'s office and the Commanding general of 32nd ADDCOM in a heartbeat, if I found out that they had done anything of the sort. I was a young SP/5, and both started to give me orders, and try to shut me up. I turned around and marched out. Nothing happened to the young soldier, and those two crap heads took the fall, like they should have. The motor Sargent retired and became the head American Boy Scout in Germany, and the LT left the Army at the end of his commitment. That young soldier may still have dreams of what happened, but I was dam* sure not going to let him be set up for killing that German.

Campdog

There is a, "rest of the story" to this. The driver, young, inexperienced, untrained and scared of the truck and driving, was set up to take the fall for the accident. The Motor Sargent and a young and dumb Second Lieutenant, had been ordered to Brake test all vehicles and trailers in the unit. They in fact did not. One of the trucks tested, was the fuel truck, and it failed. The Motor Sargent ordered the young man to drive it anyway. After the accident, the Motor Sargent and LT, went back to the motor pool to forge up paper work. They were going to make it look like the truck had passed. I was in the rear area at the time, to bring two soldiers back who were sick. I stopped by my office, to get some parts I had left behind, and heard the two bozos making up their story, and framing this young soldier. I had a shotgun, (assistant driver) with me, who also heard the whole thing. After long enough to hear the plan, I stepped in, pointed my finger at them and explained that I would not only go to the MP's, but would call the I.G.'s office and the Commanding general of 32nd ADDCOM in a heartbeat, if I found out that they had done anything of the sort. I was a young SP/5, and both started to give me orders, and try to shut me up. I turned around and marched out. Nothing happened to the young soldier, and those two crap heads took the fall, like they should have. The motor Sargent retired and became the head American Boy Scout in Germany, and the LT left the Army at the end of his commitment. That young soldier may still have dreams of what happened, but I was dam* sure not going to let him be set up for killing that German.
Holy smoke! Good for you. I wish everyone had that much integrity, you’re a good man. You wouldn’t have taken the time to help me and share this event if you weren’t. And you’re right, at least that soldier knows mechanical problems contributed greatly to the accident and he gets more sleep.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks