• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Lunette bolt, wrench size.

RWG421

I am going to pick up my first M105A2 at Nellis this week and need some advice.

I have read the post's pertaining to picking up a M105, and I think I have a plan.

I'am going to flip the lunette, and I need to know what size box wrench to bring for the lunette nut.

Additionally if I have a dry bearing issue, are the lug nuts a special size , and are there any special tools, tips needed for a Field expedient roadside repack.

Thanks,

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrench size is 1 1/2" for lunette. Lugnuts are the same size. Left side of trailer should be left hand thread. As a field expedient one should be able to remove bearing nuts with hammer/chisel. Flipping the lunette is no easy task, good kuck.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bearing nut should be a 3-3/8" 8pt. I have the sockets (see below) if you cannot locate one locally.

papercu

Your cover is on backward, don't drive it home with it on. You'll need something to drive the cotter pin out too. Wayne

Last edited:

Barrman

Once you remove the lunette nut. Hit the lunette as hard as you can with the biggest sledge hammer you can swing on the top left or right of the ring. The trailer will laugh at you. Don't take it personal. Hit it again on the other side of the lunette as the first swing. It will probably laugh at you again. Keep trying until it pops loose.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWG421, If you have trouble on your trip let me know. I have a 3 3/8" socket and spare bearing. But I think you should be ok.
Your pic of the trailer looks like a mate to the ones I just picked up about a week ago, nice trailers.
Just make sure the brakes are free when you go to tow it.
I would just take the cover and ends off for towing.

PM me if you want my phone number.

RWG421

Thanks all for the replies, I agree with the cover left on it would be like pulling a sail boat. Any preference on the 8 or a 10 ton pintle (Reese) ?

blybrook

Have a safe trip, looks like a nice trailer.

I use a 8 ton pintle on a class 3 backing plate and never had any problems. Many others claim that you should avoid the combo ball / pintle hitches as they like to bind up in the trailers and you'll have some popping around corners. I don't have one, so I cannot really pass judgement.

As to flipping the lunette, here's a thread that I did about doing it without beating the living tar outta it with a BFH: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/51347-lunette-flipping.html

I also recommend some grease or never seize on the shaft when reinstalling.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have used a combo hitch for yeare, pulled trailer mounted compressers, welders, ect, NEVER a problem

3dAngus

I hate to admit it, but I tried all of the above and had no luck. The nut came off OK, but I whacked and whacked and whacked on that pintle with a sledge hammer, pryed with a prybar, beat it again, whacked it, pulled on it, and it just would not move. It was like it was welded in place.

Some guys have all the luck.

Reading using search, some guys say out west is much easier due to the low humidity. Good luck, but don't count 100% on being able to pull the pintle. Have a back up plan. Hope it works out for ya. I would still be trying if all the neighbors hadn't come out to see who was building a new dock with a pile driver.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me (and I have recovered a few 105s) I'd just hook up to it and bring it home the way the lunette is now. Take the cover off to improve aerodynamics and gas mileage but I wouldn't worry about the lunette until you get it home. Then you can soak with PB Blaster a few days and then try.

3dAngus

No, no.... The 1 1/2" box can be purchased at WalMart, believe it or not, for $9.99 with a 1 1/8" box on the other side. And the darn thing holds up to a sledge hammer pounding. I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe WalMart would sell one but they are up on the wall in the trailer parts section.
But the problem is this.

Using a 1 1/2" box end wrench, you might find your self with a wedgie at the end of the thread, where you cannot get your box out. I did. I had to back the nut back in, and get the wrench out, and go with a pipe wrench the last 1/4" or so, but it was not a problem because with the PB Blaster put all over it, over and over, it got pretty loose once you could no longer see the end of the bolt.

I just go with the elevated pintle setup, and yes, it gets close to $200, and the trailer still isn't level, but pulls great and I have no issues with it. You definitely need good brakes on your tow vehicle. I found my brakes on my older Silverado work truck had better brakes than this high dollar Z-71, but both brake fine. I just leave a little extra room so I don't burn them out prematurely.

KsM715

While your swinging that BFH, hit the lunette on the end, like your trying to drive the trailer backwards. I know it looks wrong, like your trying to drive the pintle in deeper, but it works. Also if you have a small (14" handle) pipe wrench, it will work just as good as the 1 1/2" wrench.

Edit: no love taps, hit the thing like your trying to break it off, you wont hurt it.

blybrook

3dAngus is right about the wally world box wrench. That's how I got mine for the flipping technique I used. I just cut off the 1-1/8" end with the grinder to make it easier to handle (and I needed the shorter length for another project)! It has held up to several beatings without a scratch. I didn't put the nut back on to get it out of there, I just slid it towards the front of the trailer, rotated and pulled it back onto the nut until the nut was off. The first trailer I flipped didn't have enough room to get the nut off with the lunette in place, so I had to brake it free before I could get the nut off. Either way, it takes a few minutes to get it loose.

The plate you showed looks similar to what I have, just more holes. I tried to get one that size, but it couldn't be pinned into my hitch without grinding down the angle support, so I took it back to the store. Have yet to make one that will work properly, but am not too worried about that anytime soon.

Drop the tailgate after removing the cover, hook it up (even if it is rear high), tie down the magnetic lights (if you are using them) and head for home if you really don't want to mess with flipping it in the GL yard (or they won't let you).

Best of luck & be sure to get pictures.

hilber

I bought 2 trailers at Warners Robins. Brought them home with gate down so I could see out the back. One is to be kept original to pull behind the deuce. The other I modified. I went to junk yard and bought two wheels that go on the Isuzu van trucks as they have the same lug pattern. This lowered it about 10 inches with 16": tires. Then I loosened the Lunette bolt( I didn't know its name) and flipped it. Now it is not much higher than my pickup. I was surprised at how easy it was to flip the bolt. I pulled the cotter pin after spraying with PB Blaster and then looseened the nut, used a BFH on the round ring and it popped loose. Pulled it out enough to turn it over and tightend it back up. That helped some more to pull it more level. My pintle hitch is not the high rise kind as I have been unble to find one, but I do have it up as high as possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks