• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105a2 payload

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the max you can really haul on a 105a2? I had right at 3,000lbs (max on tag) on it today. The overloads weren't even close to touching. I'm thinking you're going to overload the tires before you come close to overloading the springs (of course you could add duals :wink: ).

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a weight recpet where i hade 11,000#'s of wet sand in mine. I had them load it untill the overloads looked like they were busy. If you count the leaf springs on these thingsa u will see they are very underrated. How much is safe? I don't know but the tires are surley the weakest link!

jwaller

ken said:
I have a weight recpet where i hade 11,000#'s of wet sand in mine. I had them load it untill the overloads looked like they were busy. If you count the leaf springs on these thingsa u will see they are very underrated. How much is safe? I don't know but the tires are surley the weakest link!
11k? holy cow. thats almost as much as a deuce and all on 2 tires? I hope you were towing with a 5T or have some very good brakes. man thats a lot on a 105.

Barrman

Years ago somebody used math to figure out that a M715, which is rated at 2500 pounds, can move down 7/8 of an inch to be at max payload. That version of the Zone has crashed and gone away so I can't replicate the numbers. But, I figure the same stand by for them applies to most military trucks. "If it is sqauting, it is over loaded." Will it and just about any vehicle those of us here own carry more than the rated weight? You bet. Is it safe to do so? Probably not, but that really depends on what you are doing.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why put overload (helper springs) on it if they don't even touch at max weight? To keep it from leaning too much going over rough terrain?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just kept having them load it untill it looked like it had enough weight wise. I tow it with my M35 witch was loaded with lumber, rebar and a 4 pallets of quick crete. The trailor's brakes work well and i didn't have any trouble. But was suprised when i got on the scale to pay for the sand. Most military equipment is way underrated in my opinion.

Jake0147

m16ty said:
Why put overload (helper springs) on it if they don't even touch at max weight? To keep it from leaning too much going over rough terrain?
I suspect that it has to do with the rough terrain. These (like the trucks) are meant to be driven at prudent speeds across extreme terrain. (relatively speaking of course) The amount that can be set upon the suspension is a very much larger amount than what can be repeatedly lifted and dropped as you drive through ruts, holes, craters, over logs, and whatever other obstacles you can find.
I further suspect that they use springs plus overloads to make the suspension more progressive during terrain-induced jounce, so that extra momentum induced stress is progressively applied to all parts of the trailer, and therefore is less sudden of a shock load. should an axle contact a stop during such travel.
Tires being alimiting factor makes good sense to me. That makes an "engineered weak weak link" that's still well over the intended capacity, but fully field replacable.

CGarbee

BFR said:
FWIW...
Edit: every thread can use a pic
Isn't that Clinto's driveway??
I've never seen it in the daylight, but I did back a five ton down it at night and in the rain once...
That's a really good looking rig in that photo...

The trailers do seem to be conservatively rated, especially when you consider the use that they are subjected to by us, the current civilian owners, compared to what they may have been subjected to day in and out during thier service life.
Keep in mind that if you should happen to have a conversation with a LEO about your load, that they likely will be very interested if your load excedes that given on the dataplate--especially if you are in an accident...
That said, I have had rather stout loads on my trailers at times as well...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR said:
FWIW...
That 3000 rating is cross country isn't it? (4500 for highway)
My trailer says on the data plate 3,000# for cross country and highway. I thought it was rated for more hwy like the deuce but that's not what it says on the plate.

Scrounger

The 105 as with most military equipment is underrated by a wide margin. There are several reasons for this. First off unlike commercial equipment that is build to carry as much as possible but stay under weight, i.e. tractor trailers are limited to 80,000lbs. The military doesn’t have those restrictions. The second thing is that most of the military vehicles are operated by eighteen to twenty something year olds that don’t worry about how much the things can haul. If you can get it in the vehicle, load it up and drive it. So the services have realized that it has to be built G.I. proof. Pretty much the only limitation on these things is the tires. Now as far as off road rating that is to keep the center of balance as low as possible for stability. To give one an idea of how well built the 105 is we had one roll completely around and come back one the tires once and kept right on going. No I don’t have pictures and we didn’t have the chains safety chains on, fortunately. That is one of the reasons that either the pintle hook or the lunette on the trailer can spin.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
m16ty said:
BFR said:
FWIW...
That 3000 rating is cross country isn't it? (4500 for highway)
My trailer says on the data plate 3,000# for cross country and highway. I thought it was rated for more hwy like the deuce but that's not what it says on the plate.
I guess different data plates were used over time. What year and manufacturer is yours?
Mine is a 1968 Stephens MFG Co.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks