• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105a2 to M105a3 Surge brake conversion

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I did it with an m101. Wasn't too bad. You should just need to run a line from the new master cyl to the front of the old brake line.

Ddmk18

Depends on what you pull it with but I hated the surge brakes on my m105a3 until you make up some sort or reverse lockout for it. Tried to back it up a hill loaded in some snow and mud and it just locks the wheels and slides. I was actually thinking of converting mine to the older air over hydraulic brakes.

johndoe007

I know the lockout protocol so no worries there. This is trailer #3. I am just looking to standardize across the fleet, it takes the "umm now what" out of some 18 Y/O when I ask them to move something. Also I am looking for a second unit in NOS condition if yours qualifies.... I'll take my rig off which has never been used in any way you want.. and swap or throw a few on top if necessary.

Ddmk18

I will let you know if I take the actuator off and my whole trailer is like nos I am thinking of selling the whole trailer. I don't think they ever used it. But just so you know the m105a3 actuator is not like the one you have pictured. It's a straight bottom mount. Where the one you have in the pic is v'd where it mounts up.

johndoe007

Thx. It creates a slightly downward pitch which I was looking for. Just don't take too long.. I might just throw this on my water buff and wait for the "right" one for the trailer.