• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 trailer air brakes, what should I do???

ssgtwright-usmc

OK, I just figured out that the M105A2 trailer indeed has air brakes and not electrical brakes.
I plan on using it for short distance (50) miles to the bike tracks and back with my M1008.
Here is the problem, my M1008 doesnt have any type of air brake system on it for towing a M105A2.
So what would be my options about converting to an electrical brake system or some kind of system to where the brakes work.
Where I live, the 2 lane highway runs along the coast thru the mountains (the long and winding road) so having breaks is a must.
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?????
Please dont say take another road to get to where I am going, if it was that simple I would, LOL!!!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do not have air brakes. They have air actuated hydraulic brakes. If you want electric brakes, a complete axle swap may be the easiest way to go.
search and you will find this topic has been covered before.

An M105 is kinda heavy to start with, you would be better off with an M101A2, with surge-brakes.

ssgtwright-usmc

I was bidding on (1) out of about (15) M116A3 and it looked liked no one was bidding on them and at the last minute someone bought them all and also out bidded me.
Did think about doing an axle swap but was fooling with the idea if their was a kit made for a conversion.
Im not all that all up to date on trailers with hydraulics breaks, just the ones with electric.
Like to keep the trailer as original as I can but then again I do beleive in the safty factor.

ssgtwright-usmc

The trailer that I won

Here is a some shots of my win! Guess you all can see why I bidded on it, Looked to darn nice to let someone else win it. I am getting the green bug bad. Now I want a M109A3.
Hard to beleive, I hate paying taxes and here I am buying from the Goverment.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: The trailer that I won

Another option would be to eliminate the air system and put a surge coupler on it. Either way the 2700# trailer is going to be pushing you around a bit. What were you planning to do to compensate for the 36" hitch height?

ssgtwright-usmc

RE: The trailer that I won

My truck has a 4" lift and I measure from ground to pintle and it right at the hitch height, Thats from the mouth opening of the pintle hitch.

wsucougarx

Re: The trailer that I won

ssgtwright-usmc said:
Here is a some shots of my win! Guess you all can see why I bidded on it, Looked to darn nice to let someone else win it. I am getting the green bug bad. Now I want a M109A3.
Hard to beleive, I hate paying taxes and here I am buying from the Goverment.
Yes buying from the gov't at pennies on the their dollars...wait a minute, that's on our dollar. So nevermind, buying from ourselves (taxpayers) at pennies on our dollar :lol:

dm22630

Re: The trailer that I won

ssgtwright-usmc said:
I am getting the green bug bad. Now I want a M109A3.
WHY would you axle swap or do anything to this trailer if you see a 2.5 ton in your future???? You will be sorry later if you mess it up now. 2cents

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dittle said:
Anyone know where you can find a surge coupler that will work with the pintle hitch?
Google, surge brake coupler pintle.

ssgtwright-usmc

How is the installation rating of ease (1-10) to install? (1 being Very hard and time consuming )and (10 being easy and done under a hour so no need to buy a 6 pack) until you are done installing.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's probably going to require some steel fabrication and welding and I would guess about 4-5 hours of work total. I'd say a 5 on my Wrenchometer for difficulty. 24 pack and dinner.

ssgtwright-usmc

Man, I was hoping it would be under a 6 pack to install. 24 pack I would never get er dun.
Since the trailer bulbs are 24v, what size 12v bulbs should I get? That should be a 1 beer job there!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1156 and 1157 bulbs

2 beers ,20 minutes and a screwdriver

ssgtwright-usmc

Well, the surge system seems to be the way to go esp... if and when I win and get a M109A3 anytime in the near future (1 year or less)!!!!

avengeusa

so what is the price that these trailers usually go for at auction, i am looking for a deuce, have one in mind actually, and i am thinking about a trailer also

ssgtwright-usmc

Actualy saw a nice trailer with a hard top instead of a soft top. Where can one locate a hard top?
That was way to cool when I saw it. Ill post a couple of pics later in the week but I would love to have a hard top cover like the one I saw!!!!