• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 VIN/registration for Texas

IronBardinForge

I have a Pribbs Steel M105A2 that doesn't have a vin on the data plates and I have a 97-1 with all 0 for the vin and 9999 as the year for the trailer. Has anyone been able to get past something like this in Texas? I think I may have found a vin under the left data plate but really dont know if its that or some other number stamped by the manufacturer. Suggestions would be great or a confirmation that someone else has there vin under a data plate would help a lot. I've been told by the local officers that do the 68A for the vin that it will be rejected without a vin since it had one at some point. They actually suggested selling it in Oklahoma since they dont have tag requirements and trying to recoup my money.

Barrman

This type of discussion gets kind of murky real fast sometimes. I was hesitant to even reply.

Military vehicles don't have a standard 17 digit VIN. They have a serial number. You wrote that your serial number on the SF-97 is all 0's. Correct?

You also don't know the year of your trailer if I understand right.

So, you are trying to register it as a trailer in Texas with documents that don't match the serial number you found under the data plate. Correct?

Are you trying to register it as a regular trailer or as a former military vehicle? The difference is important because even though your local tax office might not have a clue about how to register a former military vehicle and that they don't have a standard VIN. They eventually will call the home office in Austin. People there know about the sometimes just 2 or 3 number serial numbers on military vehicles and go with the flow.

But, you have the non matching SF-97 and the numbers under the data plate to deal with. How long ago did you buy it and can you get another SF-97 with the numbers stamped on the trailer shown? See if they can make the year a real year as well if they are going to edit your document. 9999 could just be a typo for 1999.

If that doesn't pan out then the bonded title route might be the only option left if you want to keep the trailer. That is all the above board legal options I think you have and will write no more.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mistake was made when someone accepted an incorrectly filled out SF97.
Now it’s a nightmare. There is almost no way to title it other than bonded.

IronBardinForge

This type of discussion gets kind of murky real fast sometimes. I was hesitant to even reply.

Military vehicles don't have a standard 17 digit VIN. They have a serial number. You wrote that your serial number on the SF-97 is all 0's. Correct?

You also don't know the year of your trailer if I understand right.

So, you are trying to register it as a trailer in Texas with documents that don't match the serial number you found under the data plate. Correct?

Are you trying to register it as a regular trailer or as a former military vehicle? The difference is important because even though your local tax office might not have a clue about how to register a former military vehicle and that they don't have a standard VIN. They eventually will call the home office in Austin. People there know about the sometimes just 2 or 3 number serial numbers on military vehicles and go with the flow.

But, you have the non matching SF-97 and the numbers under the data plate to deal with. How long ago did you buy it and can you get another SF-97 with the numbers stamped on the trailer shown? See if they can make the year a real year as well if they are going to edit your document. 9999 could just be a typo for 1999.

If that doesn't pan out then the bonded title route might be the only option left if you want to keep the trailer. That is all the above board legal options I think you have and will write no more.
Correct and I was told by the officer that does the 68A inspections for the bonded title that since they could not find any SN on the equipment then it would be around 2k in Law fees to get it legal to use. Something about me having to sue the other person that sold it (at least as far as Texas sees it) then I would be awarded the trailer or something like that.

Here is what i have on the 97-1
Vehicle Identification No.
The numbers I found on the trailer are and are stamped in that format under the left data plate. I have some numbers on the back of the plate also but I can't read them.
19207-7979967
I also have a packing slip from when it was stored by the military that does have a serial on it but it doesn't match what i found on the trailer so it's no help as far as the officers that do the 68A are concerned.

I am trying to contact the auction company that sold it to get a better 97-1 with real information and in my name since I'm not the one that bought it. I got it from a guy that had 2 he was selling and he never even tried to use the 97-1 to transfer the trailer to himself. He did provide a bill of sale to prove I bought it from him.

As far as how I would like it registered I would rather have it as a trailer than a former military vehicle so I can use it as a trailer unless I'm missing something in my research on how FMV can be used.

IronBardinForge

The mistake was made when someone accepted an incorrectly filled out SF97.
Now it’s a nightmare. There is almost no way to title it other than bonded.
That's the issue. I can't get the 68A I need because the officers said the state will reject the form because it had an SN/VIN at some point and since they couldn't find anything on it he simply said I'm not doing the inspection and I'm going to save you the 40$ because I know it will be rejected.

Im calling back to the station today to try and speak with the officer since i found the stamped numbers. Hoping they can use those for the 68A and ill be able to get the bonded title for it.

IronBardinForge

Well, a bit of an update. The Officer that does the 68A said they wouldn't accept the numbers I found on the trailer as the VIN or SN (Still just his opinion) but I did get in contact with the GSA Auction and they are going to reissue the SF97 with the numbers I found on the trailer and a date that makes since and hopefully change the info for the buyer to me since the lady was able to confirm the sale with the original buyer. Let's hope once I get the corrected SF97 ill be able to bypass the 68A and just get the tax office to give me a title for it and plates. If not ill be getting the 68A anyways with the information I have on the trailer and new SF97 from the officer and going the bonded title route. This shouldn't be this complicated to get a trailer able to be used.

IronBardinForge

Great news! I was able to get the 68A needed with the numbers that were under the data plate and everything else for the bonded title! Just need to go to the tax office today and file it all with them so ill have a real title! I did have to get the auction company to correct the 97A to match the numbers but that was easy enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks