• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 VME rebuild defect

3dAngus

Anyone notice the M105 VME rebuild trailers won't take siderails?

These are beautiful trailers, completely redone, new paint, brakes, tires, glad hands, etc. but there is no way to get your old siderails in there. I measured twice.

The widest point is fine. It is the narrower side that is the problem. It looks like the inside reinforcement plate was not put in correctly. This width measures 1.33" on the older non-refurbished trailers. It measures 1.23" on the VME refurbished. The siderails barely move in and out of the normal older or non-refurbished trailer anyway, and sometimes need a 2"X4" piece of wood to pry it out. The fitting is very tight. The sheet metal on the side rail legs is 1/10" so grinding it down is not necessarily an option. Especially with grinding down the 4 longer legs which are about 18" long, and you need to fit the entire leg in down to the bottom of the trailer side of the bed.

The legs measure 1.33" wide by 1.75" in length. I am using all aluminum side rails. So I went to my stock and found some older wooded rails. They measure the same.

There is a 1/10" disparity between the two side rail openings. I have never seen a VME refurbished trailer with side rails and top bow with cover, so I thought I would ask the SSer's.

Has anyone ever managed to get a set of side rails in this refurbished trailer without a great deal of effort? Do they take a special side rail I'm not familiar with? If so, what would it be, and where can I get some.

I have a feeling I'm headed for a great deal of grinding and work on ten legs, something I am not looking forward to, but I do love these VME refurbished otherwise, and plan on keeping one for my personal inventory where I have saved a new cover for it, and placed a new piece of plywood in the bottom for preclusion of rust from parts moving and scraping once the cover is on.

Any other comments solicited for the effort.

Attachments

3dAngus

Take a die grinder to the stake pockets.
I don't think I can die grind down the full 18" of depth. It runs all the way down the pocket.

I'm not sure to tell what kind of stakes they are by name, but I did try two different sets, three actually, of two different types of rails. The only ones I have not tried are the composite rail assemblies, but I am guessing they use the same rail leg. There is a definite difference in the size of the two holes on both trailers, and that 1/10" difference makes all the difference in the world when they would be very tight anyway on a normal sized butt/bed hole.

Nonotagain

Take a die grinder to the stake pockets.

Yep, a right angle die grinder with a 2-2/12" sanding pad will make short work of the offending metal.

Looking at the photos posted, the only portion that needs relief is the top not the whole depth.

Try a single pocket and see how the bow fits 3dAngus. My best guess is that it will be fine once you open up the top area.

3dAngus

If you look at the pics again you can tell it is a Pribbs bed. Note the extra supports in the bed

OK, I've been told these have extra supports. When VME rebuilds these, they put on all new data plates. The data plates have no useful information stamped on them like MFG, and only carry a new serial number. Seperately, they put on a plate that says, "VME refurbished". Thanks.

So what does it mean if it is a Pribbs bed? Is you theory the extra support is the problem? It kinda looks like the plate inside has a gap in them and are not quite as tight as the older trailers, but not sure that would render a whole 1/10" difference. I just don't know. Frustrating.

3dAngus

OK, I measured the inside plate, inside the hole, and that plate runs 6" deep. It is what would have to be die grinded with clean right angle edges all the way down the six inches. My other trailer, made by Kasel, has the same thing, but I still have the difference, even though there is no other noticeable visual difference. I am thinking grinding down the legs might be the answer, but grinding down 10 legs 18" long would be a real grind of a job.
Good grief!!!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pribbs manufacturing made the "last round" of M105A2 beds. http://www.pribbs.com/ (on a seperate note, they made the M105A3's too) An easy way to ID a Pribbs as noted above is look for the extra supports. One could ASSUME that VSE got the beds from Pribbs, but who knows..

The extra supports shouldnt have anything to do with the stake pockets. Seems to me to be a screw up in manufacturing.

Instead of grinding the stakes, how about a band saw with a metal blade?

Heck, call them and see what they say.. VSE Corporation - Platforms - Ground Vehicles - Trailers and Shelters

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M105A2 that was rebuilt by VSE in 2009 and it does not have the reinforcements on the inside, but the stakes are very tight.
The side were a bear to get out.

I just looked at it and were they cut the metal for the holes for the stakes is not cut large enough and the metal is rolled into the hole a little.

I think if I just grid the metal out of the hole they will work ok.

Attachments

3dAngus

Right now, I wish I had no reinforcement.

Right now, I want to tell you how lucky you are.:beer:

I could grind that one out with no problem. I envy you, even though it is something we should never have to do. Good luck with it. I'm breaking out the sawhorses tomorrow and starting some grinding on ten legs for a custom job. I gotta have my side rails and cover on this beautiful trailer. You could eat off the undercarriage on these VME rebuilds. Not even a footprint on them. I would have a hard time selling it after all this grinding work.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck!! [thumbzup]
The one I got has never been used also. But the stacks are Aluminum and the paint is coming off of them. That will have to be redone.
But there is always something!!

eagle4g63

What year rebuild do you have? I have an 07 and it came with the sides and tarp. The sides and ends have steel legs and although I haven't taken them out yet they are in there, maybe you just got a fluke rebuild.?.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year rebuild do you have? I have an 07 and it came with the sides and tarp. The sides and ends have steel legs and although I haven't taken them out yet they are in there, maybe you just got a fluke rebuild.?.
Mine is a 2009 rebuild and it came with sides and ends and cover also.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know who made the trailer, the data plate is not filled out.
There is a S/N on the frame above the data plate.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3d angus They will go in.....I just put some in mine. all you need is soldier b, large pliers and a 3lb hammer Exact same trailer you have there.

i did this last weekend with my trailer. The trick is to have soldier b help hold in place. crimp the stake end to get it started in the hole. place block on top of stake and hit with hammer. Repeat for all five stakes to get them started. Alternate between stakes until its all the way down. Took me about an hour

i can come help if you like.

Last edited: