• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2s at Wright Patterson

jbingvtx

If anyone is picking up at Wright Patterson, could you look at the 2 m105s I just won to see how they look. I'm just wanting to know if there is anything obvious wrong with them that I need to prepare for in my recovery. Its my first EUC so I should have a considerable wait. PM me for details, and thanks in advance.
jc

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you call Andrew out there and ask him what is the latest time during the day I can stop by I could make a trip out there for you. I don't have anything to pickup but it gives me an excuse to go out and see him and whatever happens to laying around.

:)

sw

jbingvtx

I talked to Andrew, He told me that they were in very nice shape and had no noticeable damage. He also said that other than maybe needing greased, would likely tow well. I wouldn't have posted this thread if I thought I could talk to someone helpfull on location. Thanks SW for your offer to check on them. If you find yourself going to their lot anyway event 5256 lot 5513, I feel reassured that I didn't buy 2.5 tons of junk after my conversation and that is really what I was worried about.
jc

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I suggested Andrew. He is a former mechanic and an all-around good guy.

How are you towing them back?

jbingvtx

I haven't worked out a final plan yet..I'm 300 miles away
1. Enlist a friend with a truck to tow one and I'll tow the other
2. Drive the deuce up and haul one and tow the other
3. Pay my buddy with the gooseneck to haul both home
4. Find somewhere to store one and I'll tow them both one at a time

jbingvtx

I haven't worked out a final plan yet..I'm 300 miles away
1. Enlist a friend with a truck to tow one and I'll tow the other
2. Drive the deuce up and haul one and tow the other
3. Pay my buddy with the gooseneck to haul both home
4. Find somewhere to store one and I'll tow them both one at a time

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get work wise I can store one for you at my place. If you really have to get them out and are in a bind I might be able to go get both of them and store them as well. That depends more on Andrew than me. If he lets me pick something up around 3PM I could leave work early two days and run out there.

sw

jbingvtx

I appreciate the offer to store one, I may take you up on that. My buddy has been known to be a bit unreliable so a plan that doesn't rely on him entirely makes me more comfortable. I would hate to plan on him hauling them and at the last minute he can't do it. But I could plan to drag them home with my Yukon and have him and his trailer as option B.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, 105s can be stacked pretty easily. 5500# without brakes though unless you bring the correct vehicle.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think I would want to do a trip of 300 miles with 105s stacked without brakes. I just hope this thread doesn't degenerate into "I can do it with my modified 4x4 Jeep" discussion......

I would not tow both home with my Dodge Hemi 4x4 and it's 13 miles from the base. One at a time, one at a time.

If you bring something big enough I'm sure Andrew can stack them as he has a huge forklift out there.

sw

Nonotagain

I appreciate the offer to store one, I may take you up on that. My buddy has been known to be a bit unreliable so a plan that doesn't rely on him entirely makes me more comfortable. I would hate to plan on him hauling them and at the last minute he can't do it. But I could plan to drag them home with my Yukon and have him and his trailer as option B.
I recently rented a 18' flat bed trailer from Sunbelt Rentals. It was a tandem axle model, rated to haul 7000 lbs.

I was pulling it with my F350 dually, which other than loving its fuel had no issues.

Your pick-up truck should be able to handle one of these trailers since the Sunbelt trailer had surge brakes.

6' X 18' TANDEM AXLE EQUIPMENT TRAILER Rental, Rent 6' X 18' TANDEM AXLE EQUIPMENT TRAILER | Sunbelt Rentals

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy just tried that coming out of Dayton with two M332s and got about 80 miles up the road before reconsidering and left one for Gimp instead of trying to trailer both of them home.

I don't think the weight was a problem, it may have been that they were squirrelly on the trailer while towed.

sw

jbingvtx

I remember the modified Jeep...lol..I don't want that debate to start again but I do appreciate those with experience giving advice. The offers of assistance are great, seems like a great opportunity to meet some of the ss members in area.

reset2

Unless you have a 3/4 ton truck I would not even consider a double stack. Pulled several 105's and you can tell they are back there. I hauled a MKT with a F-250 IDI Ford and it was all it wanted to do with 90 degrees temps (since changed the clogged radiator much cooler now both temp and engine). Nice looking trailers you won. I just started to use for a temp fire wood storage machine.
Also check the wheel lugs. Bought a MKT and the right wheel lugs were all loose. It appeared the mechanic who last put the wheels on forgot to put them on the taper. Just lucky my friend was staring at the trailer and noticed if before we left the depot.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great advice, hopefully after 4 years, he's all set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks