• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A3 Cover and tie down ring questions

AOR

I picked up a M105A3 this past weekend that has the M105A2-A1 cover on it. The ropes on the cover do not line up with the tie downs welded to the cargo body.
I found some pictures of the correct cover and I was told that the correct A3 cover uses rubber type cords to tie the cover down. The included picture is what I found online
I would love to have the correct cover but I have not been able to locate any. Has anyone figured out a good way to tie the older model covers to the A3? I prefer not to weld on more tie downs as I like to keep things as close to the way they came as possible. Also I can only assume this trailer sat for several yeas and that it had water that stayed inside of the cargo tie down ring pockets. I do not think they have any drain holes in them. I sprayed PB blaster on them and I was able to get all of them to move to the vertical position but none of them rotate. Am I correct in my assumption that these are supposed to rotate 360 degrees? I was thinking worst case I may need to unbolt them and put them in my blast cabinet to hopefully free them up

thank you

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, it was nice meeting you this past weekend. Yes, I believe those cargo tie downs are supposed to rotate, although it has been a while since I had one in my yard. PM CUCVFAN to ask him as he has my old M105A3. I have seen the rubber rope for sale. I think you may be able to retrofit the rubber rope to your cover. It would not be exact, but it should work better. Anyway, just a thought...good luck!

AOR

Jeff, it was nice meeting you this past weekend. Yes, I believe those cargo tie downs are supposed to rotate, although it has been a while since I had one in my yard. PM CUCVFAN to ask him as he has my old M105A3. I have seen the rubber rope for sale. I think you may be able to retrofit the rubber rope to your cover. It would not be exact, but it should work better. Anyway, just a thought...good luck!

It was nice meeting you as well thank you for the information
I will pm him I think bunji cords may work good enough
I was parking the trailer yesterday it rolled fine all the way here and now the left brake is locking up without touching the brake pedal only when moving forward I think something came Apart in the drum do you know a good source to get brake parts and grease seals for this?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, I don't know sources for parts other than this list, the Internet, or eBay. While I am unsure if they have the parts, you could try Eastern Surplus in Philly or Memphis Equipment in TN.