• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A3 NEWBIE question

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard M105A3 has surge activated hydraulic brakes. The only connection to the truck is for lights.

They are a pain to back up!

Cheers

Attachments

camp9

What year did they make the switch over to the surge breaks? Newest 105a3 I have is a 86 and still has the two hose air system. My old 1953 a1 has only one service line.

RealCavDog

The 1988 model I have as my avatar is a Pribbs/Spade Leasing and is a M105A2, with the dual air brake lines.

Not sure when the A3 was started, but sure would love to have the surge option, even though I bought it to use behind a deuce ! Don't let the photo fool you, that was only a recovery event !

RealCavDog

You may want to use the search function under M105 recovery, as this has been covered many times, and there is a wealth of tips , hints and info !

The photo you see is my recovery from Ft. Riley, Kansas to Joplin, Missouri ! Thats why I wish I had had surge brakes !

Oh, and you never said what you were going to try and pull it with, so kinda' hard to answer, but no, air not required !

Good luck ! They are nice trailers !, BUT ! weigh in at over 2600 pounds empty !

rpsharpe

RealCavDog - Thanks, I found the thread and am learning!
I have a 2005 Ford f250, CC, LWB diesel so no problem with weight. I will have to look at tongue height, but there is a lot posted on that already. Thanks again.

Nonotagain

I don't care what the data plate on the trailer says, Pribbs didn't start manufacturing the M105a3 trailer until 1996.

ALL M105A3 trailers have surge brakes.

If the tail lights aren't mounted on either side of the tail gate, you don't have an A3 trailer.

RealCavDog

Good deal ! the information available is staggering once you figure out how to find it !

Also, I agree about the Pribbs comment ! Due to the fact that I very clearly have a Spade Leasing Manufacturing tagged A2, yet G.L. insists it is a Pribbs, due to Spade not being a listed manufacturer, so . . . guess the numbers match the title even though the names differ !

Anyway, here is a link that shows a few of my recovery photos, that I added to an existing thread so as not to keep starting new ones, and makes it easier to keep all the info together ! Did the same thing concerning the tilt/dump conversion of a M101A2 !

When searching it makes it easier to condense the info in one place, and the moderators seem to appreciate it ! The constant new thread starters on existing subjects may be unaware of how hard it is to gather all the info, or may be an ego thing ! LOL !

Good luck and post plenty of pictures ! [thumbzup]

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/64692-just-won-bid-2-m105a2-trailers-2.html#post783015

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lunette height is around 34 inches. If you get the seven hole adjustable pintle hitch and swing your lunette around 180 degrees, you should be close to level with your truck.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just learned something! could you explain the adjustable part, sounds interesting. One other question, drifting abit, is the 101a3 the same as the 105a3 in the adjustable thing. Thanks

Nonotagain

Just learned something! could you explain the adjustable part, sounds interesting. One other question, drifting abit, is the 101a3 the same as the 105a3 in the adjustable thing. Thanks
The M101a3 does not use a height adjustable surge brake coupler.

The M105a3 has a height adjustable surge coupler that has four holes drilled vertically so that the lunette can be mounted in three different heights. The lunette bolts on using two 5/8" bolts.

treeguy

Just skimmed this thread looking for something else and might have missed it but wanted to note. If you are having a hard time backing up a trailer with surge breaks try to see if there is a hole in the tounge (on the coupling part near where it goes into the trailer frame). Usually you have a spot to slide in a pin or rod to block the surging tounge against the frame so you can back up.