• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061: Anyone added ramps on theirs

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Intending to add rear ramps to my recently acquired XM1061A1 but the two pairs of eyes on the rear are not on the same axis. I am thinking of raising the inboard pair to the same axis as the lifting eyes then using both pairs for the ramp pivot.

XM1061 ramps.png

TM does not show the inboard rings (not sure of their intended function - tie downs perhaps).

Will be making ramps that have a 'ramp over' bend in the middle to reduce chance of hang up at the edge of the bed.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Intending to add rear ramps to my recently acquired XM1061A1 but the two pairs of eyes on the rear are not on the same axis. I am thinking of raising the inboard pair to the same axis as the lifting eyes then using both pairs for the ramp pivot.

View attachment 801912

TM does not show the inboard rings (not sure of their intended function - tie downs perhaps).

Will be making ramps that have a 'ramp over' bend in the middle to reduce chance of hang up at the edge of the bed.
Dovetail with ramps

Neck modification as well

Attachments

tobyS

Thanks Wes....very cool. How does it pull with a pickup? I almost bought 6x6 and 5x5 for this same mod up front on mine.

Another possibility is to make the bed tilt on the trunion and bring the back down to the stops, making it about 12" off the ground and about a 30 degree angle when up. That would make the front have to be extended with a pivot back by the trunion or on the front of the trunion, I would make it gooseneck then and put a hydraulic cylinder for the tilt. Back would have ramps, but flat with the bed.

Does that description make sense? Zebedee, take your loader and lift the front of the trailer until the stops hit the axle. My description might make more sense then.

I've had mine for sale for a long time and am not going to give it away....but it's not very useful as is.

I still need a couple of the rims (bolster/1061) for another trailer if anyone has them.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
3/4 ton dodge doesn't know its behind it really. With an exhaust brake it stops it pretty well too. Mostly hauls a Kubota tractor

Been running hmmwv rims on the 1061s now since the wheels aren't common and running the typical non traction tire on them the 1061s come with

tobyS

How do you go from the 8 lug HMMWV to the 6 lug M105/deuce/1061 ?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 ton dodge doesn't know its behind it really. With an exhaust brake it stops it pretty well too.
Exhaust brake on the Dodge engine so - no brakes on the trailer?

Beaver tail is nice. I also noticed the rub rails and added tie down straps. Very useful

There was a nasty push/shove vibration from mine going up through 15 - 20 mph and again at 25-30 mph. Seemed pretty ok at 45.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another possibility is to make the bed tilt on the trunion and bring the back down to the stops, making it about 12" off the ground and about a 30 degree angle when up. That would make the front have to be extended with a pivot back by the trunion or on the front of the trunion, I would make it gooseneck then and put a hydraulic cylinder for the tilt. Back would have ramps, but flat with the bed.

Does that description make sense? Zebedee, take your loader and lift the front of the trailer until the stops hit the axle. My description might make more sense then.
I get the idea of a tilt bed, but that would mean adding more weight with a new subframe for the neck and hyd ram etc. Also be pretty precarious at 30 deg for self loading - have to add a load of traction to the deck!, or add a winch to the front.

As far as brakes - if towing with a pickup - I was thinking of swapping axles out for electric brakes but then wouldn't have the air option if using the 5 ton.... Hmmmmmm.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Exhaust brake on the Dodge engine so - no brakes on the trailer?

Beaver tail is nice. I also noticed the rub rails and added tie down straps. Very useful

There was a nasty push/shove vibration from mine going up through 15 - 20 mph and again at 25-30 mph. Seemed pretty ok at 45.
Not for the air over hydraulic. Working on an electric over hydraulic unit for it. But it doesn't get pulled by a small truck very often

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not for the air over hydraulic. Working on an electric over hydraulic unit for it. But it doesn't get pulled by a small truck very often
That would be a great Mod - let us know when you get it figured out!

tobyS

Cnc out inserts and cut the inner wheel out and weld the plate in
My experience with the 2 piece rims is not good. I always seem to have a leak even when cleaned to the bare metal and refinished. Is there another donor of 16.5 in a one piece?

Wow, the electric over hydraulic units are expensive. Did you consider a surge brake?

My plan was to make it a gooseneck which will work with the deuce original brakes (air over hyd)...but all "plans" are subject to change.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My experience with the 2 piece rims is not good. I always seem to have a leak even when cleaned to the bare metal and refinished. Is there another donor of 16.5 in a one piece?
There is a 6 lug budd in a 17.5in wheel. Lots more choices of tires that way. Like a 235 75 17.5 that @Artisan just bought that were $55 ea delivered. It's equal to a 12-16.5

tobyS

I found his post on the tires but do you have a lead on the rims in 17.5". I'm not bringing anything up in a search. This is for an M105 and I have to admit, I like the HMMWV tires for that purpose. Thanks !

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I found his post on the tires but do you have a lead on the rims in 17.5". I'm not bringing anything up in a search. This is for an M105 and I have to admit, I like the HMMWV tires for that purpose. Thanks !
Google search "6 lug budd 17.5" they pop up. Mostly used on Isuzu

Or they have the 6 lug 22.5in wheel which offers more commercial tires

tobyS

Wes, when you have a chance, would you post a picture or 2 of the HMMWV rims with the 6 bolt welded in. I have several 20" split rims with the pattern that could be sacrificed. The ones I find with the search above is budd and this is for single (HMMWV tire).

Someone used the Isuzu budds on an M105 and I think he had to remove the brakes...don't want to do that. If they do fit, that might be a good way to dual up a 1061 and stay same OD.. Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, when you have a chance, would you post a picture or 2 of the HMMWV rims with the 6 bolt welded in. I have several 20" split rims with the pattern that could be sacrificed. The ones I find with the search above is budd and this is for single (HMMWV tire).

Someone used the Isuzu budds on an M105 and I think he had to remove the brakes...don't want to do that. If they do fit, that might be a good way to dual up a 1061 and stay same OD.. Thanks.
I will when I get around it.

You can use a 19.5in 6 lug budd wheel from an Isuzu as well. They should fit easy enough Same tire availability as the 17.5 wheels

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the xm1073 have 17.5 rims with the same bolt pattern. One Piece like the m1061. The OE tires are non existent and impossible to find 11R17.5 goodyear no longer made.
My experience with 17.5 is that very few tire shops like them except heavy duty/commercial service.

tobyS

I went to a friends salvage yard and found 6 of the 19.5" budds with tires on a stripped motor home. I'll see if they can fit on the 1061. I have 2 M105 axles that I wanted rims for and that will free up 2 of the bolster rims. Score!

Zebedee, I'm sorry to expand the thread. You are completely right about allignment of the rear tie downs and lifting eyes. It sure would have been easier if they were in allignment. Not only that but they might be too wide for some loads. I think my 35 hp NH would be a little narrow. I'm not sure I wouldn't remove the inner ones and make new mount further to the center that matches the outer ones so they could slide to the middle a bit. I like the hump in the ramps you have drawn, it should help to keep the middle from hitting.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks