• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061A1 5 ton trailer questions

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
M106 Question:

I purchased a M106 recently. I have to travel about 500 miles to pick it up. I plan on using a 3/4 ton pick up truck.
Because the unit has Air / over Hyd. brakes do I need to have air in the system to tow it or will the wheels spin freely? I already have the rear lighting figured out ( using magnificent towing light strip).

When I return home with the unit I plan on converting to Electric / over Hyd.
Is it a M106 or M1061?

Here is where the tough call part comes in.

Since you failed to follow registration instructions and we have no clue where you live in the United States, anyone on here would have trouble making that decision.

If the 500 mile return trip is exclusively at a very gentle uphill where the vehicle is pulling the whole time AND it is rural with absolutely ZERO traffic that you can run into AND absolutely NO chance of fuzzy or furry little creatures crossing your path AND the power to weight ratio is sufficient as well as the truck braking power to GVW is sufficient in congruence with the grade to enable the legal stopping length AND the trailer has proper license AND if you have a tailwind the coefficient of that could affect this.

But there is another factor here.

Will your insurance tell you to go pound sand when they see what a stupid (not allowed the next word) maneuver this would be.

Now I'd suggest reading up on the trailer and it's GVW. Face it, you didn't step off on the wrong foot with your first post, you did a hand stand instead. You may want to pull back and reintroduce yourself and the situation and reengage under more favorable circumstances.

So endth the lesson.

Hydroman

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The unit I purchased is a M1061A1 T/A Flatbed Trailer. I live in Rhode Island. I decided to take the safe route and I hired someone to "Trailer" the unit to me after I also tracked down 2 more and purchased them as well. Ship them all together ( more affordable). I plan on building "Tiny Houses" on these units.

Hydroman

Re: M1061A1 Trailer. I recently purchased three (3) of these trailers. $900.00, $500.00, $700.00. The $900.00 unit is near perfect . came with a spare tire. The other two units need to be repainted.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi guys, Boats wife, Julie, here.
Funny thing happened today. I accidentally bid and won the wrong trailer for my husband.
We are now proud owners of a M1061A1 5 ton trailer located 17 hours away.
So I drive the M109A3 shop van and hubby drives the M35A2 cargo truck. Both 2.5 ton deuces. Fortunately both trailer and deuces are air over hydraulic.
Thoughts on towing this baby home with one of our trucks?
Thanks

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If the trailer is functional, 17 hours is nothing. I routinely towed mine behind a M35A2.

I also towed mine loaded to and from Atlanta to Aberdeen for several years doing a total of about 20 trips. I also towed it from Atlanta to El Paso then to Aberdeen (2200 miles) and back to Atlanta and back to El Paso.

Loaded it can make for a slow ride. Empty, you'll barely know it is back there.

Boats

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Carmac for your divination and experience.
How about a Nissan Armada Platinum that's suppose to be able to tow 9,100 #'s?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Not recommended.

I would say the mfg would anticipate anything over 3500 pounds would have an electronic braking system. The M1061 obviously doesn't. You will very easily get pushed through intersections. Stopping on downhills would be difficult at best.

It's not the get up and go. It's the oh my God I gotta stop that is the issue.

17 hours is a long way. A couple and I'd probably do it myself in good weather and driving very conservatively.

Frankly it's just a lot of trailer pushing you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks