• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061A1 trailer hookup for 12 volt pickup pull

Westex

Anybody ever figured out a way to pull one of these 5 ton trailers with a 12 volt hookup, sans transformers? The site is full of threads on pulling a 12 volt trailer with a 24volt Deuce or other mil vehicle, but when I (hopefully) pickup my trailer at Hooks, I want to energize the brakes off my dodge dually if there's a way.

fasttruck

M1061 trailers have an air over hydraulic brake system same as a m 105 or m 127. So you will have to figure out more than just the lights to pull it with a civilian vehicle as described.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The trailer is heavy. Better have air hookups.

As for the lights, doing a 12v vehicle to 24v trailer is not a significant issue. The lights just aren't as bright. I have to do it all the time when towing my 101 trailer that is still 24v bulbs using my 1009 which is 12v hookup.

The other way around, 24v vehicle and 12v trailer, better change out the bulbs to 24v ones. That's why I never changed my bulbs to 12v in my 101 trailer. I occasionally have to tow it with my deuce and usually on very short notice. So no real time to swap bulbs.

Nick

As for the lights, doing a 12v vehicle to 24v trailer is not a significant issue. The lights just aren't as bright. I have to do it all the time when towing my 101 trailer that is still 24v bulbs using my 1009 which is 12v hookup.

The other way around, 24v vehicle and 12v trailer, better change out the bulbs to 24v ones. That's why I never changed my bulbs to 12v in my 101 trailer. I occasionally have to tow it with my deuce and usually on very short notice. So no real time to swap bulbs.

So if my 48 Power Wagon is 6v, should I leave 12v in the M101 so I can occasionally pull it with my Dakota?

Nick

Westex

Don't have air on a Dodge dually, but I do have an improved vane turbo and bigger (maxstick) injectors. But then again, I DO know it's not about getting it going, it's stopping it. I hope to be o.k. once I get west of Dallas; the rest of the way west to El Paso is basically a measly straight shot of 631 miles.

Stan Leschert

I don't know about getting the Air Brakes working, but did I not hear that LED lights will take from 10-28 volts without any problems? Might be worth looking into. It could be just 1 particular set of lights, but I think that this would be worth a search!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

I made up an adaptor to hook up my Dodge to military trailers for lights. As Carnac said, they aren't as bright but bright enough IMO.

Brakes aren't as easy as lights. Unless you tow it with something that has air you're not going to have brakes.

bassetdeuce

We towed our M1061A1 without trailer brakes with a CTD Dodge RAM 3500 Dually. Even with a 573lb transfer case strapped to the top, and going 65-70mph, I never felt the need for more brakes. I've towed a lot of heavy stuff that requires brakes with this truck, but I didn't have any probs with this particular setup. For lights, I used 12V magnetics stuck on the rear, and I used a 16,000lb pintle with a 14" vertical adapter to raise the trailer tongue a bit. Of course YMMV, so use caution.

Westex

We towed our M1061A1 without trailer brakes with a CTD Dodge RAM 3500 Dually. Even with a 573lb transfer case strapped to the top, and going 65-70mph, I never felt the need for more brakes. I've towed a lot of heavy stuff that requires brakes with this truck, but I didn't have any probs with this particular setup. For lights, I used 12V magnetics stuck on the rear, and I used a 16,000lb pintle with a 14" vertical adapter to raise the trailer tongue a bit. Of course YMMV, so use caution.
This is the info I needed. I got the magnetics from Harbor freight and will gorilla tape them down. Already have a pintle hook with a 25K# rating I believe, so I should be good. Thanks bassetdeuce.

jimbo913

Did you end up converting that braking system to something other than air over hydro after getting the trailer? Anyone know if a conversion is even possible? Looking for a HD low cost trailer to use short distance 1-2 times per year pulling behind a Dmax

Metal Head

Sorry for reviving an old thread on my first post but I am looking into what it would take to convert this for pulling behind a Chevy/Duramax pickup as well. Since this is an air over hydraulic brake system can I just cut out the air side of the system and plumb in a Dexter electric/hydraulic actuator, or is there more to it than that?

http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/169/1125

I realize this is a heavy trailer but it would be perfect for a work application where I have the ability to lift the whole thing by crane, stabilize by 4-post jacks and have the e-brake when disconnected from the truck.

Are service parts like brake shoes & tires really difficult to come by or is there a source for parts you could share?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

noel.isaac

Brake conversion

Did you end up converting that braking system to something other than air over hydro after getting the trailer? Anyone know if a conversion is even possible? Looking for a HD low cost trailer to use short distance 1-2 times per year pulling behind a Dmax

Yes there are electric over hydraulic conversions that tie into the trailer and get juice from your break controller. 3 different systems available, about 750 each type. They bypass the air system and take half a day of work without beer, 2 weekends with.

profo

For the lighting I recently bought some 12 to 24 volts dc bulbs off of ebay that fit into the military socket original tail lights they were a few bucks each will get part number tonight and post they work great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks