• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 charging fault

Hummermark

I have a charging fault on an M1070. When you start it, both the 12 volt and 24 volt generators charge then they stop charging. Is there something common to both the 12 and 24 volt generator that would stop the charging?

Charging does not come back on when idling but when you take it out on the road they both will start charging after about 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I do not have a wiring diagram - wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this

It is a rebuilt 2004 model, so it has the slightly different wiring from the 1994. All batteries are good (I have tested them individually).

Thanks,

Mark

goodguyzy

Are you sure its the alts not charging or the gauges falling off? I have a intermittent relay problem that is causing gauges to act up but unable to pin it down yet.

Hummermark

Good point I am going by the gauges that go down to battery voltage but you say you have that but at the battery's it's charging will have to check that.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Hummermark.

Can you add UK to your location in your user profile? Helps us know that you are across the pond.

Thanks for being part of the group.

goodguyzy

You also may try posting this problem in the" m1070 tech and tips" thread. There is a good knowledgebase subscribed there. Also is this a m1070 or m1070c UK model?

ZZ4x4

Hummermark,
Have you verified the alternator belts are tight? My HET came with extremely loose belts and they were slipping badly. To get to the rear alternator, you'll have to pull the passenger footwell inside panel.

Also, do you know if you have any engine codes? I assume you have the newer DDEC III/IV system. If so, there is the DDEC request button inside the center console under the top panel. If you press and hold the button with the ignition on ( engine off) the check engine and check gauges lights will blink reading any active or stored codes. If you read a 2 and a 5 (25) then there are no active codes.

Hummermark

Hi the alternator belts are tight bid adjust them up a bit as also thought that could be fault now real tight. How does the ddec system affect the charging I thought it was only to control the engine? Yes it is ddec III/IV system.good info to check for no active codes.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sorry no help on the 1070 but since you seem to be the only civi owner with a M1030M1 could you at some time start a thread on it with lots of pictures and performance. Thank you in advance.

ZZ4x4

Hi the alternator belts are tight bid adjust them up a bit as also thought that could be fault now real tight. How does the ddec system affect the charging I thought it was only to control the engine? Yes it is ddec III/IV system.good info to check for no active codes.
The DDEC system can show codes for battery voltage high or low, and injector response times which are affected by charging system voltage. The alternator voltage output is adjustable and I've seen them turned up in cases where an arctic heater ( extra batteries) or bad battery were installed and the extra voltage was thought to be needed. Just looking for clues ;-)

Hummermark

Charging fault fixed new voltage regulator fitted to 24 volt alternator part number r240103822s both gauges in the green but fixing the 24volt alt masked that the 12 volt alt was also not working.if you remove the 24 volt alt belts then the 12 volt gauge should be in the green mine was not (multimeter confirmed). Replaced voltage regulator on 12volt alt part number r240103725s these are prestolite/leece.neville part numbers.

DrillerSurplus

Are you sure its the alts not charging or the gauges falling off? I have a intermittent relay problem that is causing gauges to act up but unable to pin it down yet.
I have the same problem with intermittent gauges. Haven't spent much time chasing it, so no solution for now, will post if I find what is causing the issue.

turbett1

The DDEC system can show codes for battery voltage high or low, and injector response times which are affected by charging system voltage. The alternator voltage output is adjustable and I've seen them turned up in cases where an arctic heater ( extra batteries) or bad battery were installed and the extra voltage was thought to be needed. Just looking for clues ;-)
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I am working on a m1070 at work and we are having an over charging issue with it the 12V system is reading around 18V and the 24V system is reading around 33V. My question is how do I adjust the voltage your post says it its adjustable but I cant find where to adjust it

ZZ4x4

Sure. There is a small round plastic plug inside the voltage regulator on the alternator. Pull out the plug and there is an adjustment screw. Turn counter clockwise to decrease output voltage. You should confirm voltage with a voltmeter though and not trust the gauges. Another type of alternator used on the 8v92 has three tap screws. By switching the regulator leads you can select from 3 voltages. You should have the first type on an m1070. Hope it helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks