• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070(HET) Tractors What are second lives/uses????

UNIMOG-GUY

Soni,

What kind of rolling device is on the bottom of the plate? Rollers or wheels or ????

What crane is on the back of the 5 ton?

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone used one to stop a semi-tractor trailer rig in the last couple of days. Drive and support driver okay.

G,That is a great picture.

swindad2

Seems like I can remember reading a post on here somewhere where one member was working in an oil field up north and his company is using an HET to recover stuck tankers. Couldn't find the article. Maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about.

DRTDEVL

P3 Recovery LLC in Watford City, ND, is using a 1070 as a heavy off-road recovery vehicle. I have given him some modification tips to make it more effective, like how to bypass the park brake PTO safety interlock so he can use the winches to self-recover.

He clued me into the other thread that got me here, so I am sure he'll be along soon.

goodguyzy

HET big let down.

Well as you can see by my title I drove the HET for the first time with a load on its back. I flat towed a M35A3 a few months ago and it did very well and could hardly feel the truck back there. (13,000lbs) Today I would estimate that trailer and load was about 38,000lbs. I would say the biggest problem is the tranny, not enough gears. Honestly the M916 handles the trailer much better, I don't like the auto tranny one bit not to mention that the mirrors are even worse with a trailer (fixable). My hat is off to you drivers that run the M1000 with 70 tons. I cant think of towing a load like that when you have a up and down terrain like I have around my place.

Attachments

Last edited:

HETvet

Come on, gotta go grabin' gears. You have to take the truck and man handle it. I've hauled loads over 70 tons and though it didn't like hills, it did just fine.

DrillerSurplus

Well as you can see by my title I drove the HET for the first time with a load on its back. I flat towed a M35A3 a few months ago and it did very well and could hardly few the truck back there. (13,000lbs) Today I would estimate that trailer and load was about 38,000lbs. I would say the biggest problem is the tranny, not enough gears.-- I cant think of towing a load like that when you have a up an down terrain like I have around my place.
I've wondered how hard it would be to put an Eaton or Spicer transmission into the HET. Something like the RTLO-16713A (ratios go from 12.3 Lo-Lo to .73 overdrive) or RTO-16908LL (ratios go from 14.5 Lo-Lo to .74 overdrive) We used these in quite a few of the drilling trucks. The torque rating is right for the 8V92 and the overdrive would take the top speed to low 60's mph.

DRTDEVL

Ill take any driving, gear shifting, gear selection advice you can give.

He gave the tips in the 1070 tips thread. Hit 1st (the only way to get 1st gear) manually, then shift manually at all times under load. If the splitter is working properly (I have driven several over the years with only high range split), you will see the rpm hit yellow, then drop to about 1850 in the high split. Once it hits yellow again, pop 3rd (this is for 2 through 2-5 on the shifter). The object is to keep the rpm above 1850, because the 8V92 falls on its face below that.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've wondered how hard it would be to put an Eaton or Spicer transmission into the HET.
Soni put a manual transmission in his highly modified M920. He's a master of fabrication and if he can't do it it can't be done.

That being said if I were going to lose the automatic I'd lose that double breasted boat anchor of an engine with it. I'd drop a 600 HP Cummins in there and call it good.

DrillerSurplus

Soni put a manual transmission in his highly modified M920. He's a master of fabrication and if he can't do it it can't be done.

That being said if I were going to lose the automatic I'd lose that double breasted boat anchor of an engine with it. I'd drop a 600 HP Cummins in there and call it good.
That would be more efficient for sure, but a lot more money. I think I have a good 13 speed take out on a pallet rack out back and I'm parting out a Kenworth cabover with a 13 speed hooked up to a Detroit. (probably too light duty for the 8V92 though)

And- I like the sound of the Detroit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks