• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5eua

Alright guys, here is what happened.

We were on 301, headed south to Tampa.

Just got into stark and the wife wanted to look at getting a hotel. Went all the way through stark and decided on a best western so we turned around and went back into town. Got to the best western and they were booked so we decided to go to the next town. As I was making the turn out of the best western back onto 301 the engine died. I was in the far right lane and a car passed me and honked its horn. Not even 5 seconds later I'm flying in the cab holding on to the steering wheel. At this point two things go though my mind. First thing was f*** me is this really happening, and second, what the f**** how did you not see me dumb ***.

I've been hit by ied's before, in a het and honestly that would have been better if I had the choice.

As soon as the truck stops I get out the cab and start yelling for someone to call 911. My phone was in my pocket but I wasn't concerned at that point.

Now, before anyone says I should have made sure I was ok first I did a basic test.

Am I breathing, yes
Am I hurt, no
Fell body for wet spots, none
Firmly feel body body for tender spots for internal bleeding and or broken bones, good no tenderness.

So as I am running to the semi, that finally came to a stop almost 200 feet down the road I ask the driver if he is ok. Once he tells me he is fine I run to my now hysterical wife to try and calm her down.

I survey the scene and realize holy crap I just got hit, what the **** am I going to do now.

Stark medical shows up before the pd. Now mind you there was two patrol cars down the road doing traffic control but medical showed up first.

Got my wife to go sit the ambulance and calm down.

I start walking the scene to try and get a grasp of what happened and well all I can say is the semi driver tried to change lanes but not slow down and hit. He did not attempt to brake at all and hit me full force.

Here are some pictures.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403966981.177103.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967030.844448.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967044.479013.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967055.928545.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967068.963027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967088.447724.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967110.034777.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967127.552687.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967138.452028.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967151.553294.jpg

HETvet

F800, that has been my thoughts all night. But to be honest, it's not that bad. I could be very fixable. That was my initial thought from what I saw. I also hope I can help you in any way I can as far as the next move

ke5eua

One more pic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403967183.972817.jpg

My phone is at 20% but when I get it charged I'll add more info.

No one got cited, and since Florida is a no fault state they found me at fault for insurance purpose because I was blocking a lane of travel.

I will be taking swift to court over this, and subpoena the dash cams of the two patrol cars that was doing traffic control.

ke5eua

It can be fixed for sure, my initial thought was the frame got tweaked but once they lifted the truck I got a better look and the frame is solid, it was just the way it was sitting.

Rear steer hydraulics need rebuilt, air bag supports need rebuilt, middle axle needs to be replaced as it was leaking, it might be fixable but unsure.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad you and your wife are fine. As you know, please seek medical help if you start feeling after effects.

I hope you can still make Jeff's rally.

Take Care and all the best!

Helidude

I've been on several recoveries and this always scares the crap out of me. I'm glad everyone is ok and no major injuries or anything to deal with. My wife and I did a 3 vehicle recovery this week and took a 200 mile longer route through back roads just because she was afraid of being hit from behind and it looks like she may have been right in her decision. Good luck guys... I hate to see that beautiful truck messed up but thank God nobody got hurt.

ke5eua

Don't beat your self up. "Hunt the good stuff, " even one walked away, and it's not a total loss.
Your in the race, can taste the finish line,moments away and then bam, no more finish line.

Beautiful truck, just makes me mad the way the cops handled everything.

With Florida being a no fault state they can still find fault for insurance purposes. Personally I think the insurance companies should handle that if the state is a no fault state. That is what I will argue in court.

HETvet

Yea. I was born and raised in florida. So I know the crazy laws. I'm going to see if I can connect with some ppl I know and see what I can come up with.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Well........that sucks like a Hoover.
It's been my experience from being a long haul truck driver that a lot of Swift drivers are inexperienced rookies that have very little practical knowledge of trucking. Swift is an entry level company that hires anything breathing that can get a CDL.
As soon as their drivers get enough experience to move on to a better company they do so.
I would hire a lawyer immediately, one that specializes in commercial vehicle law.
Florida law is not in your favor.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be looking for suggestions on my next move.
As far as the truck, I would cut off the entire frame behind the second rear axle, remove the winches and fifth wheel, paint it yellow, and sell it into construction. Then buy another HET.

Status
Not open for further replies.