• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Want to Retrofit Dash Kit, Need Help!

Operations

I have the Tachograph in mine now, would like to switch to the two gauge Speedometer/Tachometer that was later retrofitted in these trucks.

The whole Retrofit Dash kit part number NSN 2541-01-494-6557 P/N 3415712, Anyone know where I could get one?

The Kit is made up of Dash Panel, Generator Signal, Screw Assembly, Generator drive tang signal, Protective cap, Tachograph wire set, and Installation Instructions

So far I have tracked down the part numbers to two of the the items in the kit

Speedometer Amteck P/N: 580S2-41230, Oshkosh P/N 3359556, NSN 6680015041094 (found on Ebay)

Tachometer Ametek P/N: 503K1-41231, Oshkosh P/N 3359557 NSN 6680015036480 (no luck so far)

Any help on locating a kit or the remaining parts or even a part number would be very helpful.

If I can t find these I may just go aftermarket.

Thanks everyone in advance.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is a kit but was only used as needed, as far as I could find out, there was no retrofit program for the dash, so finding the kit may be tough, I have a low hr. HET in my driveway (BART), it has the single tachograph, according to the TMs, the 1070 had a "A" dash or a "B" dash. When the trucks went though rebuild, the A or B dash was left, the truck became a a1 when the master battery shut off was added to keep the batteries from draining down due to the on board hot electronics. I also have 3 m1070s in storage, these are ao if there is such a thing, (no battery shut off) they have a mixture of A and B dashes.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PS Magazine (Issue 695, pp 15) says this -

M1070 HET Tachometer
Use NSN 2541-01-494-6557 to get a new tachometer replacement kit for the heavy equipment transporter (HET) tractor. The new tachometer kit comes with a dash panel assembly, generator signal, screw assembly, generator drive tang signal, protective cap, tacograph wire set and installation instructions. The new kit replaces the old-style tachometer shown as Item 1 in Fig 58 of TM 9-2320-360-24P (C2) (Feb 98). The new kit can be found as Item 1 in Fig 246a of TM 9-2320-360-24P (31 May 09). If you already have the new kit installed and just need the tachometer, use NSN 6680-01-503-6480.

Which it looks like you have the same info there already.

There is a kit but was only used as needed, as far as I could find out, there was no retrofit program for the dash, so finding the kit may be tough, I have a low hr. HET in my driveway (BART), it has the single tachograph, according to the TMs, the 1070 had a "A" dash or a "B" dash. When the trucks went though rebuild, the A or B dash was left, the truck became a a1 when the master battery shut off was added to keep the batteries from draining down due to the on board hot electronics. I also have 3 m1070s in storage, these are ao if there is such a thing, (no battery shut off) they have a mixture of A and B dashes.
The battery shutoff doesn't make it an A1, the A1 is a completely different truck with a different engine & transmission, etc. The M1070 with the battery shutoff is just a M1070 with the battery shutoff. I have noticed that many of the Oshkosh rebuilds (vs the Red River rebuilds) have the battery shutoff to the point where it was a reliable way to determine the rebuild facility without looking at the rebuild tag. The Oshkosh rebuilds also tended to have LED marker lights and removal of the forward blackout marker lights. I believe all of the Oshkosh rebuilds I have seen have used the two gauge dash.

I have noticed that many of the earlier manufactured HETs have later rebuild dates, which makes sense, as they'd be the older trucks. I could be wrong, but I think all the DDEC III/IV HETs have the dual gauges and the DDEC II HETs have the single tachograph.

Shark Bait

PS Magazine (Issue 695, pp 15) says this -

M1070 HET Tachometer
Use NSN 2541-01-494-6557 to get a new tachometer replacement kit for the heavy equipment transporter (HET) tractor. The new tachometer kit comes with a dash panel assembly, generator signal, screw assembly, generator drive tang signal, protective cap, tacograph wire set and installation instructions. The new kit replaces the old-style tachometer shown as Item 1 in Fig 58 of TM 9-2320-360-24P (C2) (Feb 98). The new kit can be found as Item 1 in Fig 246a of TM 9-2320-360-24P (31 May 09). If you already have the new kit installed and just need the tachometer, use NSN 6680-01-503-6480.

Which it looks like you have the same info there already.

The battery shutoff doesn't make it an A1, the A1 is a completely different truck with a different engine & transmission, etc. The M1070 with the battery shutoff is just a M1070 with the battery shutoff. I have noticed that many of the Oshkosh rebuilds (vs the Red River rebuilds) have the battery shutoff to the point where it was a reliable way to determine the rebuild facility without looking at the rebuild tag. The Oshkosh rebuilds also tended to have LED marker lights and removal of the forward blackout marker lights. I believe all of the Oshkosh rebuilds I have seen have used the two gauge dash.

I have noticed that many of the earlier manufactured HETs have later rebuild dates, which makes sense, as they'd be the older trucks. I could be wrong, but I think all the DDEC III/IV HETs have the dual gauges and the DDEC II HETs have the single tachograph.
I was thinking the A1 had the Caterpillar. Guess I was right? Mine has a the DDEC III/IV but single gauge.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking the A1 had the Caterpillar. Guess I was right? Mine has a the DDEC III/IV but single gauge.
Yeah, 700 horsepower Cat C18.

I guess I'm wrong on the single gauge being a DDEC II thing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks