• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Alternator Problem

chief Day

Ok i'll disconnect that wire and the grounds i have removed and cleaned already. This has drove me crazy i have put a filter in line did not help cleaned grounds even run a ground to the battery nothing i did helped so tomorrow ill go remove the wire and see and Thank you for the help this one kick my but lol and ill let u know if it works .

thetruckguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the moune bracket for the 200a alternator is different. I made a new one. It had to stick out from the block another 1\2 inch or something to clear. And yes, it is a different pull, and i cant tell you how hard it was for me to locate one!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok i'll disconnect that wire and the grounds i have removed and cleaned already. This has drove me crazy i have put a filter in line did not help cleaned grounds even run a ground to the battery nothing i did helped so tomorrow ill go remove the wire and see and Thank you for the help this one kick my but lol and ill let u know if it works .
I'd be curious to see if this fixes it too. I have tried using a ham radio in mine and had a noise problem as well. I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it, but like you guys said I would start with the grounds. Since you've already done that maybe it's something like that wire being connected. I tried running my radio off the 12v and Gnd posts in the relay panel area.

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Just fixed a couple hours ago and a heads up to all MTV owners! The problem had nothing to do with the alternator or regulator. There are two wire harnesses that come up from under the cab and enter the dash compartment right next to the throttle control linkage. If the wire loom doesn't come up high enough, the linkage can rub the wires and eventually wear through causing a short. One of the wires in that bundle is the hot wire to the energize side of the voltage regulator. In my case, that wire was damaged and fried. Therefore, no juice to the regulator and the resulting charging issue. Every MTV owner should remove the dash panel and check this area. Yours might be fine, but I seriously doubt mine is the only one. I also consider myself lucky. That wire is the 28V side and the short area was pretty charred with a couple other wires needing repair. It could have easily been a disaster. This was not an issue that the truck had when I got it. The chaffing may have begun, but the voltage was fine.

A few simple precautions / upgrades can prevent a mountain of headaches in the future. I will post this info elsewhere for those not following this thread.

Be well.
Did yo go happen to take a pic of where the wire chaffed?

DOUBLE ALT

Hello Chief
Many owners of Military Vehicles have replaced the alternator because of several problems.
Just search steelsoldiers site "M1078 alternator" 10 pages of issues on one model.
You can call me at 843 756 7007 and I can help.
regards Ron

mechanicjim

Hey Chief Day,
you might want to start a new thread with your issues as this thread has a lot in it that way you will get clear questions and answers, for your radio static it is common to have a little to much AC in the DC to cause this with a MultiMeter on AC volts see what is at the 12v alt terminal, for the filter did you put in on the radio or at the alternator?

DOUBLE ALT

Chief
Almost all auto and airplane noise filters are added to the battery lead and grounded to the alternator case. You mentioned the noise filter was put in line. (like series).
With the engine running and the radio on, start disconnecting fuses until it clears up.
cheers

chief Day

Hey guys i just wanted to let u all know i think i have fix it.So i took the wire off of the AC side on the voltage regulator and then took the ground and the positive wire and ran then to the positive and ground wire and put them to the positive and negative post by the relays the on the passenger side dash and i called dispatch and the said i was 10-2 which sounds good so i guess i did something good. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS

Last edited:

coachgeo

Hey guys i just wanted to let u all know i think i have fix it.So i took the wire off of the AC side on the voltage regulator and then took the ground and the positive wire and ran then to the positive and ground wire and put them to the positive and negative post by the relays the on the passenger side dish and i called dispatch and the said i was 10-2 which sounds good so i guess i did something good. THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS
dish??? is that meant to be dash ??

Billydeuce

No. Long gone. I have a high output setup coming in. On a truck. As soon as the euc clears. Who know when that will be.
I wasn't optimistic but it can't hurt to ask. I just have a bad N3030 voltage regulator but I think it would be easier to find swamp land in southern Arizona. thanks for your reply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks