• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Cold Starting & Ether?

cavetech

It's been getting real cold here in north Florida. When I start my M1078 after a cold night (40 degrees F - don't laugh you guys up north) it blows a lot of smoke out of the exhaust pipe.

I have had many diesel engines, but most had some variety of glow plug to use before starting.

My M1078 doesn't seem to have glow plugs. Can't find a switch for them or a light on the dash telling me "wait to start".

It cranks over fine and always starts right up.

Does cold starting have anything to do with the ether bottle on the engine I have read about? What civilian ether bottle should I buy and how do I instruct the engine to use it? I've always been told using ether might damage the engine.

Thanks, Steve

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's been getting real cold here in north Florida. When I start my M1078 after a cold night (40 degrees F - don't laugh you guys up north)
I did get a chuckle out of that. It was -7° this morning, and our 40°F nights are even in the summer.

Anyways, yes, mine exhausts a fog of white "smoke" (I think it's actually unburnt diesel fuel) until all the cylinders are firing after 10-20 seconds. This engine (3116) does not have glow plugs, and while this is my first year/winter with it, it seems like the only way to start it in really cold weather (sub-0°F to 40°F) is with ether, and lots of cranking (several 15-30 second cranking bursts, until the engine finally catches enough to keep itself running until all cylinders are firing). I haven't found a civilian version of the ether bottle yet. The ether is not injected unless you tell it to (this is all in the operator manual, by the way), and there is a button in the top left area of the dash that when pressed will inject a measured dose of ether (my button is yellow and marked with a Looney Tunes style bomb icon). I doubt you'll need the ether almost ever, as I pretty much only do when it's sub-freezing.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Last winter I was able to start all my trucks at 10 degrees out without any starting aids. They grumbled and smoked a bit. Running them every day also helps.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last winter I was able to start all my trucks at 10 degrees out without any starting aids. They grumbled and smoked a bit. Running them every day also helps.
And did that happen similar to how I described? You crank, you hear a few cylinders fire but it won't catch, you wait and crank again (10-20 sec) and you hear a few more catches, repeat several times and it will finally lope enough to keep it turning and then after 20-30 seconds of that it's running normal?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It did take a few times cranking it. I dont like to run the starter for long periods. Crank for 5 seconds then wait a few. Once it would catch, give it throttle till it smoothed out. Lots of smoke till it got going good. I have the ether can on there but never tried it.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use a can of starting fluid if you are careful. I have done this a few times, just use sparingly. Spray a little into the intake snorkel, just a short spray, wait a few seconds for it to start vaporizing, then crank it. If it fires up and then starts chugging you can hit it with another short burst. Like I said just be careful not to overdo it. Less smoke on startup this way so it doesn't smoke out my house or the neighbors :)

The part# for the ether can is # 33-118 available at Napa. This thread reminded me I need to go get one...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That little CAT has trouble starting at 40 degrees? If it were only one of us I would think engine problem but obviously its more than just one? Like was said earlier use the CAN very carefully because lots of very unpleasant things can happen, the best case scenario in using the can is that you only shorten the life of the motor a LITTLE bit the worst thing, well just take my word for its very BAD!!! Also like was stated above already get a block heater on this thing and your troubles both current and future will be gone in starting the truck. I live in ND and its going to be -16 tonight block heaters are the BEST long term solution there is!
Karl

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should never spray ether without the engine cranking.

Using the factory installed ether start system is the best method. (safe)

snowtrac nome

With the long run of the after cooler plumbing a shot of starting fluid in the air filter is ok it will be well atomized by the time it gets to the engine, no worries about hydro lock or pre ignition. You just need to know what size shot you need to start it.

cavetech

The truck starts better than me in 40 degree temperatures. I need socks and two comforters at night! 0 degrees would be fatal to a Floridian!

Anyhow, my truck does start when cold and blows smoke briefly.

Thank you for the ether can part number. I have the switch mentioned in the upper left corner of my dash. Haven't looked for the can yet.

Steve

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ether cylinder is mounted near the cab lift hydraulic pump inboard of the spare tire. I have one in there, but believe it to be empty.

cavetech

The ether cylinder is mounted near the cab lift hydraulic pump inboard of the spare tire. I have one in there, but believe it to be empty.
I will look for one on my truck this weekend.

I have been enjoying learning about my truck. It's a big part of the fun of owning it. I've owned large straight jobs in the past, but none have been as complex as the M1078.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started mine in 30 degree weather today. Jeesh these engines don't like the cold. She grumbled and grumbled but did come to life. I can see a block heater in my future.

tburk49760

I started mine today, 10 degrees! Grumbled a lot, took quite a few crank bursts to get her to light off. Ether is empty. I go through a bottle every winter and I drive her two days a week usually. I try to keep a spare as there is no way to know how much is left... I wonder if the head has the holes for the glow plugs? The civvy version of he 3116 comes with them??

Feal318000

started mine today, 20 degrees, block heater plugged in- it truly started right up like it was summer time. as for the transmission- that's a different story. Its a slug until driven about 5 miles.

coachgeo

started mine today, 20 degrees, block heater plugged in- it truly started right up like it was summer time. as for the transmission- that's a different story. Its a slug until driven about 5 miles.
have you converted to transmission oil yet or you still running motor oil to military spec?

coachgeo

change to BP autrans synthetic fluid, Allison will extend the warnty to 3 years if you use it on new transmissions
changed mine too. Question this time was directed at Feal318000 in wonder if the tranny warm up characteristics he described pointed more toward a behavior when using Military spec. tranny lube (motor oil) or Allison Spec. Auto Tranny fluid. Should have stated that more clear... my bad.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine started this morning in the lower 20's. I had to do about 5 short crank cycles to get her started... I left it run a while and then ran some errands. I ended up at Tractor Supply and found one of these:
magnum-magnetic.jpg
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kats-engine-heaters-magnetic-heater-300w?cm_vc=-10005

This should work well if I plug it in a few hours before starting... I'm still looking for one of those temperature plugs referenced earlier that will turn power on below 32 deg F. I would've thought a farm store would have them with the livestock watering equipment, but alas, not stocked in the Fairview, TN store...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks