• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 conversion to brush fire truck

Webrep

We pick up our truck on Friday, any thoughts on how top heavy they are and how many gallons of water weight it can hold? Concerned about roll over. Anyone do a project like this?

Lmtv772

Banned
It depends how shallow the tank is. You can put 2.5t of payload on top of it. I wouldn't use a LMTV as a tanker.
an MTV (m1088 )maybe but not a M1078

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It will hold some decent weight in the bed. The springs are compliant and flex easily not like the older style trucks. Any decent weight in the back will bring the suspension down. It has bars coming down with large rubber bumpers so when the suspension squats it sits on the frame. I dont find them top heavy when driving. Its under rated and has a ton of power in low range if you needed to pull weight.
Will

Webrep

This is what the conservation dept is giving out to fire departments now. Just got to figure out how to best configure it.....work is they are top heavy and don't put more than 500 gallons. Which is 4000lbs

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think the 6x6 version might be better suited for your application. 500 gallons is just under 4200lbs plus the weight of the tank and equipment sounds about right if you are driving it offroad. If you had to in an emergency the truck would handle double that weight. You do run the chance of getting stuck with the extra weight. In low range going slow you can pull a ridiculous amount of weight if you had to. If you had a water trailer the truck would do better pulling the weight than carrying over 5000lbs in the bed. A 6x6 version would double the capacity though.
Will

BigAmbo

Why not put the tank under the tray. There is a lot of room there even if you need to split between 2 tanks. Then the tray is available for carrying other gear.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my friends put 500 gallon tanks on both of his. He has them set up as brush fire trucks for his wildfire suppression company.

Last edited:

shadowrwolf

you could do a type 4 engine a type 3 would be a wee bit too heavy been thinking about this and for a type 3 i would go with a 5 ton

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The m1088 tractor is not like the older m939 tractor where you can just take off the 5th wheel and have frame rails to mount whatever you want. You would have to build up a bit across to have a long flat surface.

Webrep

Thanks guys keep the info coming please....we go to pick it up tomorrow. Yippee I will post pics...nothing like getting a free truck for our small department.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks