• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078? Does a s-250 shelter fit under the Cover

tobyS

I think the S250 is the same as my S780, 7'0" wide and 5'8" tall. Only difference seems to be wheel wells.

gottaluvit

The trailer is just short of 8' in outside width. Inside is most likely about 4" less considering the posts/fold down bedsides look to be right at 2" thick. Not sure of a humvee's width. I am not blessed enough to have one in my driveway to measure.

tobyS

The trailer is just short of 8' in outside width. Inside is most likely about 4" less considering the posts/fold down bedsides look to be right at 2" thick. Not sure of a humvee's width. I am not blessed enough to have one in my driveway to measure.
I don't have one either, but the M1101/1102 is designed for the MMMWV and so are the Geithner shelters, so I think they are the same width. I can't verify the hummer width but the trailer and shelter are at 7'. Length is another issue.

coachgeo

Below data is from a net search..... and of course everything on the net is accurate and 105% true ....

Judging by Operational height of LMTV 1078 shown below @ 112" ... assuming that is to max height of cab (no cover on bed) and with bed height @ approx 60". So now with basic math that means we're taking 60" from 112 should give you close to 52" from bed too top of cab. Add another 10 to 12" more cause the Cover is taller than cab. With that... your now at 62-65".

Looking at that 62-65" height.. and below showing S250 @ 73" tall... no it won't fit unless the cover is bit taller than the cab height than I guesstimated or if there is something else I missed in the calculations.

Tomorrow I'll go outside and measure what I can with tape. Don't have a cover or bows though.

Myself, am thinking two S250's side by side on bed facing Port/Starboard instead of For/Aft. (89" shelter(s) inside 91" inch bed) Will make my own cover to go over them.

DATA

"-250 shelter comes in a variety of configurations. Overall exterior dimensions are approximately 89"L x 73"W x 73"H with the base narrowing to 49".

Oper. Height M1078112 in (2,845 mm)
Inside Cargo Bed Length M1078149 in (3,784 mm)
Inside Cargo Bed Width M107891 in (2,314 mm)

Last edited:

tobyS

I thought the S250 and S780 were the same box, but with a different bottom/wheel well. The S250 extending the full length and the S780 having a boxed in one, more interior space.

I'll have to do more research, because my s-780 Geithner box measures 84 1/2" wide, 102 1/2" long and 68" high (plus 2" rubber pad). It has lifting eyes on the top four corners that stick out 2" and on mine, there is a removable air conditioner support that sticks out 26" on the front.

Here is a photo of the shelter I have and the trailer it's being mounted on. I'll check back to let you know if I have to eat crow about them being the same.

At 102" wide if loaded sideways, the box alone would be at the legal maximum. I thought about doing that like a sleeper on a tractor...but too wide.

Attachments

coachgeo

Just confirmed..... inside bed is 91". Ruff measurment the 52" from bed bottom to cab roof also looks right. Hopefully someone with a cargo covered bed can whip out a measuring tape.

I thought the S250 and S780 were the same
box, but with a different bottom/wheel well. ...
I did too but apparently the S788* is longer too. Saw a pic that made since of it. It showed the S788 tail end poked out beyond end of Hummer bed where the S788 box tail was flush to bed end of hummer.

Judging by http://www.wenzlau.com/S-788.htm and http://www.wenzlau.com/S-250.htm The S250 is @86.5" long" which is a good bit shorter in length than a S788 @103.5" long

Note these are max length such as including door handle, corner braces , attachment point corners etc.

*figuring you meant in your post the S788. Found no info on something called an S780

Last edited:

gottaluvit

Just confirmed..... inside bed is 91". Ruff measurment the 52" from bed bottom to cab roof also looks right. Hopefully someone with a cargo covered bed can whip out a measuring tape.

I did too but apparently the S788* is longer too. Saw a pic that made since of it. It showed the S788 tail end poked out beyond end of Hummer bed where the S788 box tail was flush to bed end of hummer.

Judging by http://www.wenzlau.com/S-788.htm and http://www.wenzlau.com/S-250.htm The S250 is @86.5" long" which is a good bit shorter in length than a S788 @103.5" long

Note these are max length such as including door handle, corner braces , attachment point corners etc.

*figuring you meant in your post the S788. Found no info on something called an S780
I did a few posts back.

tobyS

Yes, it is S-788. Okay, I learned something today, the S-250 is shorter, a fair amount shorter in addition to the wheel wells being different. Sorry to muck up the topic of an S-250.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks