• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Engine Fan Issue

cavetech

Fan Clutch Photo

Here is a picture of my problem. You see the one nut in the center of the air clutch. Around it you will see the plate that I cannot remove. It is the slightly shiny round plate. All the allen head screws are out. Allen head screw at the 3:00 o'clock position is ground off. Oval shaped spot is at 12:00 o'clock. I've pounded it with a mallet and a short crowbar. I've pried under the plate with various crowbars and screwdrivers.

How on earth do I get the plate off so I can continue with clutch removal??

Attachments

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fan and clutch pictured are the old style, the same as I had on my truck. I cannot explain why you can't pull the pictured plate off unless the bolt that has the head cut off is causing binding. Try prying with a bigger prybar. None of the parts can be reused if upgrading to the new style clutch anyway. Just be carefull when it pops loose with the radiator, maybe add a blanket for protection.

cavetech

The fan and clutch pictured are the old style, the same as I had on my truck. I cannot explain why you can't pull the pictured plate off unless the bolt that has the head cut off is causing binding. Try prying with a bigger prybar. None of the parts can be reused if upgrading to the new style clutch anyway. Just be carefull when it pops loose with the radiator, maybe add a blanket for protection.
OK.

Now I know I'm doing it right. Tomorrow I'll find a bigger pry bar and try to break the plate off. I'll let you kow what happens.

Thanks,Steve

coachgeo

OK.

Now I know I'm doing it right. Tomorrow I'll find a bigger pry bar and try to break the plate off. I'll let you kow what happens.

Thanks,Steve
Does it move outward anywhere around the plate?

Consider going ahead and drill into bolt you ground off and use an ease out to remove it. Might be some threads on it catching the plate. If not that using a small drill bit; drill in a tiny bit in various spots at perimeter of the head you ground off to see if that might help.

cavetech

Does it move outward anywhere around the plate?

Consider going ahead and drill into bolt you ground off and use an ease out to remove it. Might be some threads on it catching the plate. If not that using a small drill bit; drill in a tiny bit in various spots at perimeter of the head you ground off to see if that might help.
The plate hasn't moved. Today, I am going to look for a gear puller that will fit. I have about 6 pullers, but none of them fit right. I hope I can pull the plate loose.

There isn't enough room to get a drill in between the radiator and the plate.

cavetech

I Got It!

I decided to use a wheel/gear puller. The first one I found in my shop had two legs. Once I finally got it on and tightened it up one leg broke. Back in the shop I found a three legged puller. I attached it to the clutch plate and finally it came off fighting me all the way.

Then the fan came right out.

Next were six more allen head screw down inside the clutch. I was unable to see the screws, but did it by feel. They were very very tight, but once loose they came right out. The clutch was kind enough to just fall off when the last screw came out.

Does anybody have a chutch and fan for sale?

fan_clutch.jpg
truck_fan.jpg

Thanks, Steve