• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Harmonic Balancer and Fan Clutch

Levelox

Should the fan clutch allow the fan to spin freely when the motor is not running? Mine will not. It was vibrating really badly. Where is a good place to buy a new harmonic balance her? I'm in the Houston Texas area.

***** Everyone Please note this is for a LMTV M1078 and not a CUCV, ****

Last edited by a moderator:

Levelox

I need a fan clutch and harmonic balance or for an M 1078. I was told to order one for 6.2 Chevy diesel sand they are nothing alike. My motor is a cat model number 3116. Also I was asked if it was the harmonic balance or the fan with the water pump. My fan and slip clutch is on the harmonic balancer. The water pump is on a separate pully. So my whole harmonic balancer is shaking and my slip clutch is frozen. If anyone knows where to get these parts for 1996 M 1078 Cummins 250 model 3116 I would appreciate it

Last edited:

red

Levelox you have 3 different engines for 3 different vehicles listed in your post.

6.2 Chevy diesel (came in the pickup trucks)
Cummins NHC250 (14 liter non turbo inline 6 engine, came in the 5 ton trucks)
CAT 3116 (came in the LMTV's)

Levelox

Not sure how the 6.2 got on my thread other then I asked about parts for my m1078 and a reply said to order one for 6.2 Chevy. I have a 1996 m1078 with a cat 3116. My goal is to find a place other than Cat to buy the dampener and the slip clutch. Thanks for your help.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suprman in Ct is the to go to guy for FMTV/Lmtv parts. Send him a pm.

I would recommend reposting in the correct forum.

There is just no way I see a 6.2L gm and cat 3116 using the same balancer. Just the weight of the engines and crank is vastly different requiring different specs in my simple mind.

red

Not sure how the 6.2 got on my thread other then I asked about parts for my m1078 and a reply said to order one for 6.2 Chevy. I have a 1996 m1078 with a cat 3116. My goal is to find a place other than Cat to buy the dampener and the slip clutch. Thanks for your help.
The reply stated that because you posted in a thread about harmonic balancers for a 6.2 diesel, in the CUCV section. Simple mistake, just wasn't caught right away.

Jozseph

I need a fan clutch and harmonic balance or for an M 1078. I was told to order one for 6.2 Chevy diesel sand they are nothing alike. My motor is a cat model number 3116. Also I was asked if it was the harmonic balance or the fan with the water pump. My fan and slip clutch is on the harmonic balancer. The water pump is on a separate pully. So my whole harmonic balancer is shaking and my slip clutch is frozen. If anyone knows where to get these parts for 1996 M 1078 Cummins 250 model 3116 I would appreciate it
Levelox,
Consider contacting, Vibratech TVD web site is http://www.vibratechtvd.com they manfacature viscous dampers.

Regards

Joseph

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
**** Everyone this is a LMTV M1078 and not a CUCV. ****

I will move it to the proper forum shortly

rd3war

How much vibration are you getting from the engine? Can you feel it when seated in the cab? Is it worse at idle or higher rpm? Do you have much belt flutter "slap"?
Did you check the air compressor to make sure its brackets are all tight as that can also cause vibration.

Levelox

I found the problem yesterday. All my harmonic balancer bolts were finger tight. It was allowing it to move. Three of the bolts are longer than the others. It looks like some of the others may have snapped the tip off. Any suggestion for this? Yes this is an LMTV M1078. Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread.

scottmandu

how does a solid chunk of steel go bad? If it's not turning, that means your crankshaft isn't turning which means your engine is seized or very tight.

Levelox

I didn't say anything about my harmonic balance being bad. I said that eight bolts backed out of it. Never said it wasn't moving. Not sure where you got that.

Tga

The fan clutch is a Kysor/Borg Warner part number 1090-08000-01. There is at least one listed on a popular auction site, that can be found by a search of that number. Kit Masters offers a rebuilt unit their part number is 8001x. To be clear, the fan should be locked up when engine and main power switch is off. Should release when main switch is turned on IF the system has air AND the engine is not hot. If it doesn't release it could be the controll valve under the passenger kick panel that is malfunctioning and not the fan clutch. Simple way to test clutch is to put air (at least 60psi) to the air inlet on the front of the fan clutch, if it releases with air pressure applied and locks up tight when air pressure is removed then it is functioning properly. The clutch has studs that the fan blade attaches to with lock washers and nuts that are typically included with a new/rebuilt clutch. I'm guessing the broken bolts that attach the clutch to the hub could be found at a CAT dealer or a generic hardware source. If I recall the bolts are an Allen head socket bolt and are hardened to be sure. Be sure to install with locktite to prevent them from vibrating loose again. As for the hub that the clutch attaches to...CAT would probably be your only source, hopefully it's not damaged. Good luck!!

Levelox

It's not the studs that attach the clutch to the hub that were loose and broken. It's the eight studs that attach the harmonic balancer to the pulley. Three broke off five backed out.

Tga

Thought you said you need a fan clutch..sorry, guess I'm confused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks