• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 inspections needed

cavetech

Hello all. I would like to buy a M1078. When I look on govplanet.com there are several of them for sale on their auction (close enough to drive home to North Florida). None of them start for their simple inspection.

I would like to hire a mechanic to check out a couple of these vehicles. Someone capable of attempting to jump start them and testing them. But, how can I find this person? I've talked to govplanet.com and they don't offer that service.

If I've posted this in the wrong place, would a moderator move it?

Last edited by a moderator:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck getting them to let you do that. It's hard enough scheduling a simple inspection let alone a complete review of the vehicle. If GP can't get it started then likely there is more wrong than the batteries being dead and someone casually looking over the vehicle isn't likely to find the problem either unless they are very familiar with FMTVs and know what to specifically look for and are permitted the time to find it.

Your best bet would be to find one already titled and for sale in your area. Chances are you'll pay less in the long run than fighting with GP over titles, taxes, etc. and can take the time to look over the vehicle before you buy it. It used to be prices were decent enough that taking a gamble on the auctions were worth it. The way the prices are now (even the starting bids) preclude a person from doing that.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have brought three non-runner LMTVs back to life, and each has taken WEEKS of diagnostics and parts searching.

dsanderlmtv

Your best bet would be to find one already titled and for sale in your area. Chances are you'll pay less in the long run than fighting with GP over titles, taxes, etc. and can take the time to look over the vehicle before you buy it. It used to be prices were decent enough that taking a gamble on the auctions were worth it. The way the prices are now (even the starting bids) preclude a person from doing that.
I agree, if you can find a private sale that would be the best bet. Something is going on with these auction sites and they are taking the fun out of bidding for something that is a want and not a need.

cavetech

This is very interesting. I assumed they never even put jumper cables on a truck. If it's batteries wouldn't start it up they just said wouldn't start.

Are you saying they use jumper cables during the inspection? So if it won't start it has a serious problem?

Any ideas where I can find a M1078 to buy?

cavetech

In my case I would have to drive the truck home, so it has to start and run.

I can't jump 24volts from my Dodge Cummins pick up. I don't have military jumper cables and if I did, my truck doesn't accept them of course.

How does somebody look at an auction truck and try to jump start it? What equipment would I need?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You would have to pay to have a non runner hauled. Even a runner you would want to go thru all fluids and full safety check before trying to drive it any distance.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is very interesting. I assumed they never even put jumper cables on a truck. If it's batteries wouldn't start it up they just said wouldn't start.

Are you saying they use jumper cables during the inspection? So if it won't start it has a serious problem?

Any ideas where I can find a M1078 to buy?
From what I understand GP tries to slave off any non-running vehicle and attempts minor things to try and get them started. You never know the real condition until you get one home and start going through it. If you want to buy one at auction just factor in the cost of having it shipped. If you're buying out of state that means GP will charge whatever the sales price is in the state the vehicle is in. If that's less than your sales tax then you'll likely have to pay the difference when the truck gets registered. If it's more than your state sales tax then you're fubared as they won't return the difference unless you have a professional shipping outfit recover it for you and even then you have to fight them for it.

Again, I recommend looking for one in private hands and buying that. You'll have ample time to look the vehicle over, you can negotiate the price (can't do that on the auction), you should get a title without having to pay out the nose extra for it, and you should be able to drive it home and start enjoying it immediately. GP, GL, and GSA are all crapshoots and the house is usually the only one that really wins. I bought mine at auction and by the time it was up and running with new tires and a new top I probably could have bought one retail and I got, initially, a good deal on mine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Time you find a friend. Drive up there get it running and drive back it is cheaper. Safer. And easier to have it shipped. These trucks sit for 3yrs some times and were not treated well before then. Especially at a very big active base. If you break down it is at least a 300$ tow bill. Depending on how far down in florida you are. You can get it shipped for about 1.70 a mile. Bragg also offers no load out help as i found out yesterday. This lmtv did not even roll with the brakes caged. I can transport it if you would like take my advice. Ship it. If it were a Ft riley truck. I would not hesitate to tell you to try a driving recovery.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Also IMO after what i saw on 2 of their lots so far. That them giving me the truck and paying me 100$ to take it is still a crappy deal.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are but if they are sent to be removed from service due to age, needed repairs, or excess you still dont know their condition. And "maintained by the military" doesn't mean anything. They have their shade tree mechanics. Also they tend to rob parts from trucks as well. As people picking up on GP will take stuff off trucks as well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you get a truck. I could move it for 775 to your door from bragg.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright man, so here's some down and dirty. The stuff that is up for auction is either too broken to repair, too old to repair or modernize, or too many of a specific type. This stuff can sit for 6 months to 2 years before it goes up for auction.

GP, based on personal experience at Ft. Bragg, does everything it can, to include minor maintenance, new batteries, jumping, fluids, relays, fuzes, and similar to get the truck to a operable condition. They know they will get more money for running trucks, so it's worth it to invest a little time and maintenance in them to get more at auction.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sitting for 6 years is not uncommon. I've picked up a bunch of trucks with chalk marked turn in dates 2010 and 2009.

Just because it runs doesn't make it roadworthy. Tires sitting flat with creased sidewalls are some of the least serious deficiencies I've found...

With auction prices being what they are, there's no longer much advantage to be had by buying at auction. GP is doing a much better job getting every last cent out of them. The opening bid is pretty much retail price - just look at how many go unsold without any bids....

The last two nice A2s I had I sold for $8800 and $8200. Figure that's not much above GP's opening bid of $6k + fees. You'll have $1500 in fees, and figure another $500 in batteries. And this assumes there's no surprises .... so GP is getting retail, or I sold mine too cheaply.

If you're paying retail anyway, may as well get it from a private sale where you can inspect it in detail.

As to what they do to try to start them.... GL used to not do much of anything, but GP will generally try to slave them, will try ether (even on vehicles with glowplugs) and will air up tires for pictures.

Oh, and you CAN jump one off your cummins. You'll need 2 sets of heavy jumper cables and some knowledge...

cavetech

I have learned a lot here and I thank everybody for their candid advice. It sounds like GP is above my level of ability.

But, I do have good news. I have purchased a M1078 from a private sale like it has been suggested here. Sure it cost more than GP, but I took it for a test drive and the minor items that need repair I believe are within my ability to fix. I am now excited about the truck since it seems to be just what I wanted. I plan to take it to MVPA events.

Now I need to sell my M1028 dually, S205 shelter and M101 trailer.

f8617

My learning curve was steep & expensive...but on a celebratory note, I've had my M1078 for ~1 year and just now, today, I figured-out & fixed the CTIS (one wire had pulled out of the pin in the tank pressure sensor connector).:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks