• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 LMTV Transmission pull questions...?

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new to me 1078 with a 3126 Cat. Main seal is leaking and needs to be replaced. I have found a shop who is willing to do the work but they are looking for any pointers to getting them separated. Can the work be done with the bed in place or will it need to be pulled back to gain better access to split the two and get to the rear main seal? The TM I have doesnt talk much about transmission removal steps or tips. I guess its a pretty straight forward job once these logistic steps get figured out. Only 16k on the clock but I guess all the sitting doesnt do these any favors.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually just pull the engine rather than the trans in that scenario. To pull the transmission the military would pull the bed off the truck to gain access. So that's two steps instead of just pulling the engine.

While you have the engine out - replace the oil pump and inspect the bell-housing for cracks, etc. And make sure all engine fasteners have Nord Lock washers - these trucks like to have fasteners work loose due to vibration.

Before you do anything - inspect the transmission oil and magnetic drain plugs carefully. If it's showing any signs of the C6 thrust bearing issue then pull the bed and the transmission instead and have that addressed. It would suck to do the rear main and find out later you need the transmission overhauled.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And correct me if I'm wrong but there's also the fact that the bed is held on by many Huck bolts that have to be cut off with a cut-off disc or plasma torch!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks