• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078/M1079 for overland camper?

Another Ahab

At 250,000 Euro + VAT, shipping, etc (or $279,000 US) for the 20' unit I think I can replace my tent a couple of times over. It'd be neat to have but not very economical and certainly not within my price range.
Whoa. That's real money.

You might even pick up an old C-130 for that. And you know THAT would make a fine camper.
I'd take the C-130. :jumpin:

Update: We have been making a lot of progress and working on the truck almost every day. Our main focus has been on getting the roof rack ready (so we can start body working the cab) and pulling off parts and refurbishing them. The roof rack is about finished and we have started sending parts out for sandblasting and powder coat. We also made some pretty nice aluminum stiffeners to reinforce our badly warped front fenders. They are 1/2-inch by 3/4-inch solid aluminum bar, rolled to match the edge of the fender. They will be bolted with small 10-32 fasteners through the lip of the fender prior to the fenders being painted.

Michael

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

jpl

Looking forward to seeing the finished product (as I'm sure you two are also!). Especially anxious to see how you do a shower. Thanks for sharing this journey with us.

cavetech

The M1078 gets 7 MPG and 55 MPH is as fast as the truck goes, comfortably.

When you get the engine hot running at that speed the air clutch will scream on and scare you to death the first time. After that you can't talk in the truck with the clutch howling.

Many, many parts seem to be readily available in the civilian market.

Steve

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump for updates! I haven't received and blog updates via email for a few weeks either. I'm sure you guys are doing something else important like holiday travel or visiting family/friends. Let us know how things are coming along.

cavetech

Bump for updates! I haven't received and blog updates via email for a few weeks either. I'm sure you guys are doing something else important like holiday travel or visiting family/friends. Let us know how things are coming along.
OK. I invite you to Xmas dinner tonight at 7:00PM. My place has the M1078 and M1028 out front. Bring your own 5.56 ammo for machine gunning!

Another Ahab

OK. I invite you to Xmas dinner tonight at 7:00PM. My place has the M1078 and M1028 out front. Bring your own 5.56 ammo for machine gunning!
Sounds like a treat.

But what are you firing? Only machine gun I know is the old M-60 and that was 7.62mm (.308). What's the "house" weapon?!

Thanks for checking in. All is well here. We took a little time off for the holidays, visited family, and went on a few trips. We've actually been making some steady progress on the truck anyway. This afternoon, we re-assembled the battery-box and air tanks. It turned out nice.

As a side note, I soda blasted the power connector, and it turned out great. It took all the paint off without hurting any of the plating. It looks totally new now.

We just collected up everything we need to re-assemble the wheels, but I think we are goign to push forward on painting the frame next.
Cheers,
Michael
battery-box-air-tanks-air-tank-shields-nato-connector-after.jpg

csoledade

As a side note, I soda blasted the power connector, and it turned out great. It took all the paint off without hurting any of the plating. It looks totally new now.
Hi Michael. I noticed in the blog you guys have used the soda blaster to restore a ton of stuff. In addition to the NATO power connector it seems you guys have done air lines, hoses, etc.

Do you mind sharing the details of your recipe? What media specs? What pressure? Special nozzle? Any other important factors?

Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks