• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Purges tires

Jhart01

Got an M1078A1. New tires, the purge valve (center of vehicle right side above exhaust tubing) always stays open and slowly drains the tires flat. Changed ecu (flashy thing on drivers side with buttons), manifold thing (passenger side kick panel), sensor and regulator thing (just off the wet tank), and the valve itself. It's still draining tires...what's next?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Got an M1078A1. New tires, the purge valve (center of vehicle right side above exhaust tubing) always stays open and slowly drains the tires flat. Changed ecu (flashy thing on drivers side with buttons), manifold thing (passenger side kick panel), sensor and regulator thing (just off the wet tank), and the valve itself. It's still draining tires...what's next?
You might have gotten a little better response if you had posted this in Current Conflict, FMTV. Can't always know where to put things - and for all I know - as a new member this (Conversations) may have been the only place you could post. ANYHOW, link below is where you should find discussion threads about your truck.

That purge valve on the air dryer sometimes sticks open. Guessing that you have the "factory original" piece. Many times, you can get the truck running, air up to about 60# or so, then climb down and put the flat (palm) of your hand up to the black plastic blowing air and push up. Sometimes that will seal the purge. Disassembling it and cleaning it will fix what the "hand trick" won't do. Picture below.

My M1088a1 009 Air Dryer.jpg LMTV Factory Air Dryer.jpg

Now, as for the CTIS draining and emptying your tires... I think you have two problems.
Purge Drain is Problem One.
CTIS draining your tires are Problem Two.

MY OPINION is that you need to solve Problem One before going any further. You need to be able to turn off the truck with full air tanks. The motor makes too much noise to allow you to find any other air leaks. If you have "house air" (an air compressor and a hose) available attaching a glad hand to the left front glad hand. That will allow you to quietly hunt for leaks. First by sound, then with Dawn dish soap diluted with water and a spray bottle.

Several CTIS components are under the dash on the right side of the truck. You hay be able to hear it clicking and clacking - opening and closing air valves. A picture of basic components is below. That number TM-9-2320-363-20-1_199_1 is the Technical Manual that may be really useful.

CTIS Valves TM-9-2320-363-20-1_199_1.jpg

There are several threads in the LMTV section about troubleshooting the CTIS air system. If you can't find anything using SEARCH, let me know and I will post a few links or some of the things I have downloaded from other members.

Ronmar

The purge valve in the center of the truck beside the transmission is for the front axle.

it will drain any air leaked from the wheel valves.

i suspect you have already fixed this, as this sounds like another issue I commented on over on the FB group. A restriction in the line, in this case standard bolts where the banjo bolts are supposed to be on jthe front wheels, kept the wheel valves open and the tires draining after CTIS depressurized the truck side?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The purge valve in the center of the truck beside the transmission is for the front axle.

it will drain any air leaked from the wheel valves.

i suspect you have already fixed this, as this sounds like another issue I commented on over on the FB group. A restriction in the line, in this case standard bolts where the banjo bolts are supposed to be on jthe front wheels, kept the wheel valves open and the tires draining after CTIS depressurized the truck side?
Thanks @Ronmar !

I'm hoping that @Jhart01 got the information you just posted and that what I had sent might be useful as well... I figured with enough pictures - maybe we could get him up and running. Tires sitting on rims is "bad mojo" for sure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks