• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 starter rebuild help

sargentwolf

My starter decided to stop working. Checked everything out, had a bad battery, still wont start. Took the starter apart and it's toasted. Shaft is warped and there's arcing damage plus rust inside on EVERYTHING. I also snapped off a cover bolt when putting it back together...that's how I found out the shaft is warped....I knew things had been going too well lately.

I'm hunting for a new starter, but going to give it one last hurrah before using this for a boat anchor.

Anyone have any exploded diagrams or the like on the starter? I've tried contacting a few factory authorized part shops but they can't even find the model in their systems. There's a motor repair place that will take a crack at repairing the damaged bits and a new shaft but need more info on assembly/tolerances....I didn't take pics of the disassemble process like an idiot.

Or does anyone have a spare, known good starter they would be willing to sell? Need to have this truck up and running ASAP as its being used for a recruiting event soon.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a good used one. I dont know of anyone who rebuilds them. Its considered a Cat part so no cheap replacements around. There are a bunch of cross refs to it though. When I get to work I can look up the numbers.
Will

Rebuilder

My starter decided to stop working. Checked everything out, had a bad battery, still wont start. Took the starter apart and it's toasted. Shaft is warped and there's arcing damage plus rust inside on EVERYTHING. I also snapped off a cover bolt when putting it back together...that's how I found out the shaft is warped....I knew things had been going too well lately.

I'm hunting for a new starter, but going to give it one last hurrah before using this for a boat anchor.

Anyone have any exploded diagrams or the like on the starter? I've tried contacting a few factory authorized part shops but they can't even find the model in their systems. There's a motor repair place that will take a crack at repairing the damaged bits and a new shaft but need more info on assembly/tolerances....I didn't take pics of the disassemble process like an idiot.

Or does anyone have a spare, known good starter they would be willing to sell? Need to have this truck up and running ASAP as its being used for a recruiting event soon.
What were the symptoms of it going bad? Did it just stop working or were there bad noises involved? Mine clunks 3-4 times before it starts the truck and I'm not sure if it's the starter or something upstream.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are contacts when the solenoid throws out the bendix that get pitted and burnt out over time. The solenoid contact closest to the block is the positive. Get a clip lead on there jump it to 24v see if its the starter.

sargentwolf

IronPlanet reported it had intermittent starting issues. It would make a loud grinding noise as well as a whirring noise and would then have to spin down before I could try starting it again. It would usually finally engage correctly on the second or third try and the engine would run just fine.

sargentwolf

So ended up finding a starter locally, got to love truck shops that are staffed by packrats! I think the guy had enough truck parts to build an Auto-bot....

Installing it this weekend when I have help.

And the amount of arcing damage inside the starter makes me very no in reusing this thing. Very certain the starter is bad, I didnt see any teeth chunks inside the bendix housing or on the flywheel (friend brought his cellphone snake camera, 20 bucks on fleabay!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks