• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 starting

cheesehead dave

Engine would not crank. Suspect neutral safety switch. Don't know where it's at. Bypassed by running a push button switch to the remote start solenoid. Works great, but would like to do it the right way. Where is the neutral switch located? Thanks.

dmetalmiki

Usually a top the the gearbox somewhere, however, It's on the LEFT SIDE, (facing forwards) halfway up going into a 'shelf on the side. just follow the electrical wiring down to it. (the plug)

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a relay inside the VIM under the PDP. My suggestion is to follow the comprehensive troubleshooting guide in the Technical Manual. Could be quite a few other components as well.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Could be something as simple as a bad start relay in the panel. There are 2 fuses in the vim although I have never seen one blown.

coachgeo

Much Much thanx Will. Folk like you really help all of us learn just a little more about these trucks every day.

So with your info went into bit more search that seems to say VIM is Allison Module for tranny. Onward into deeper search and tadaaa...

VIM = Vehicle Interface Module.

This brought up what think is posted here already but just in case if not...... here is a troubleshoot guide for Wtech II and Wtech III shift pad/ECU/VIM

http://www.transmissioninstruments.com/troubleshooting.html

Sorry to the OP for the Hijack........ now back to starting issues.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks