• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 transmission questions

sargentwolf

2 quick questions.

Where the flying fruit bat is the dang transmission serial number? Spent an hour under the truck looking for it.

And

Is there a way to add in a transmission temp probe via a test port or will I have to splice it into one of the lines that go to the radiator?

Thanks!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Allison tag passenger side centered on the trans. T case wll have its own tag on the drivers side. Both you have to be a contortionist to read though. If it was overtemp you could pull that up as an error on the keypad. You need special diag interface and software to connect to the trans the plug is to the right of the steering column.
Will

sargentwolf

Well, turdballs. I hurt too much from crossfit this week to play contortionist.

Also, it wasn't overheated, but I'm adding in a exhaust temp and transmission temp gauge pod. Wondered if there was a port already in the tranny I could use.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Get under the passenger side look up at the side of the trans with a flashlight. Should be able to see something. I think the serial is towards the bottom. Its a common style Allison metal tag. Dont know about extra ports sorry.

sargentwolf

Ok, found an adapter that will clamp to the transmission cooling line. Looks like the lines are 1 inch, is that correct?

Im very leery of drilling holes/cutting lines unless its the only way. Keep Mr. Murphy the heck away if at all possible.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont know the line size sorry. With the serial allison could probably direct you to a port on the trans. Can you get an accurate temp reading on the outside of a line?

sargentwolf

+\- 5°F of accurate per the manufacturer and a few reviews of similar devices.

Im going to try finding the transmission S\N tomorrow after a nice round of painkillers. Ow.

coachgeo

Get ahold of Ted at https://www.tktsales.com/ he'll get you fixed up or at least pointed in right direction. He knows these Allison Trans first hand.

BTW- while he does sell some stuff on Ebay via seller tktsales . He has NO ASSOCIATION with the Ebay user who sells filter kits for LMTV with wrong filters. That's ttssales3

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Serial Number is hiding behind the transmission hoses/lines and very difficult to read because you can't move the lines out of the way. How I did it was position a flash light shinning in that area then using the camera on my phone took several pictures of it from above the hoses/lines and below until i finally got a clear useful photo that had the serial number in it.
Good luck and don't forget to record the number so you don't have to do it again.

Overdrive

there is a port! yea had to switch pipe to NPT and all that crap... The port on the trans is 1/4" but all the senders I can find are 1/8" and I needed a little extension for the probe. I will try to get a pic of the setup.

Here is a pic of the port and its location. I believe I have the right probe with all the correct adapters I will try to take a pic. Have not gotten around to installing it yet but I have run the wires to the cab for the sender.

transtestport.jpg
OD

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks