• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 vs 2 post lift?

MaiNiaK

I was curious if anyone has tried lifting just the frontend of a M1078 with a 2 post vehicle lift? (I know an M1078 weighs 17,000+)

I'm looking to put an Atlas 2 post lift in my garage. I was originally going to get the 12,000 lb lift knowing this will lift my 1 ton work truck. But for $400 more I can get the 15,000 lb lift. Which may or may not lift the frontend of a M1078, for tire changes.
Atlas does make an 18,000 lb lift but the price jumps 6k.

MaiNiaK

The truck weights around 16k. I can lift either end with my skytrak.
So ether lift should work then. Thanks

Im finally getting my garage set up. Lots of tools on my need to buy list, but at least I'll have my own place.
I need to change my rear pinion seal and altinator belt. When my altinator belt went I lost my speedo at the same time, I hope they are related.

MaiNiaK

Thanks Superman.
You're a wealth of knowledge as always. Your knowledge and ability to help members source parts is a great asset to the community.

I ended up renting a U-haul and went and picked up my Atlas 15k lift the other day. Also bought a bunch of new tools. I can't wait to get my garage in order. I have a few issues with my M1078 I have neglected and need to address before I drive it again.

image.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm curious to follow your garage setup. I was thinking this year, but have put off to next year, of buying property. Just want to see what you did/direction you went.

MaiNiaK

I built this 28x40 garage 5 yrs ago. It's a 3 bay garage, one bay is 14w x 14h x 28d (built to house a lift). The other 2 bays are 13w x 10h x 28d. The garage has attic trusses, so I have a 14 x 14 room above my lift bay and a 14 x 26 room above my other bays, both have 8' ceilings. Unfortunately before I completely finished the garage we bought our new house on the mountain (which has no garage).

I believe I have some pictures from when I was building it that I can show.

The garage is now a 2 bay garage, cause I've rented one bay out to a friend.

As my 2 bay section comes together I'll gladly share some more pictures.

MaiNiaK

I got the lift stood today and the top cross plate attached. Thanks to some friends helping. I still have to level and shim my posts some before I drill my holes though. I plan to use concrete apoxy along with the expansion bolts that came with the lift, for added bite, before fully tightening the bolts down.

As you can probably tell from the pictures, the top of the lift is mere inches from the upstairs floor. The right hand post also barely fit between the end of my garage door rail and my large squirrel cage fan.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

I still have a lot more to do before the lift will be operational but the heavy lifting is done so I should be able to finish the rest myself.

I did find a couple pictures of the inside of the garage from when I was building it. I know I have more it's just a matter of finding them.

image.jpgimage.jpg

First picture is up in the attic trusses, you can tell the lift bay is 4 ft taller then the rest of the garage. Second picture is a bunch of bikes stuffed in the first bay on the 10 ft side, closest to the house. I had plywooded over the doors until I had the money to buy the garage doors.
That silver dyna got a new Imron paint job a few years ago. They didn't get the mix exactly right, but I painted it OD green. I also had them flatten the paint when they mixed it up. (It needed a new paint job after hot rubber bubbled the paint)
image.jpgimage.jpg

The M1078 being loaded with compost. (To keep things military truck related)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks