• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 with Camper Trailer

Duckworthe

I know a guy who used a camper like that. It was done fast and easy! Then about a month into his trip he noticed wood dust on the counters and then the next time he went into the camper the upper cabinets were laying down on the countertops. Guess that camper was really not able to handle the vibrations and rough ride on back roads. He just kept screwing them back up until they finally stayed in place. But they were only made or partial board and probably be trouble forever. But it is doable! Heck, Diesel Brothers did it on National TV and sold it to someone for way to much.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are not missing anything in concept. Trailers like that often have skirts hanging down too, another opportunity to remove them and shorten the height, I say go for it. You will probably find drains, tank dumps, etc hanging down that you might have to work around.

The trailer mentioned above that disassembled itself might have been a HI-LO brand trailer I know of. Having been present for episodes of repair, that trailer was not built very well. period.

Has anyone just knocked off the axle and tongue and mounted something like this in the bed? I see alot of S280s being built.. But for less $ and less time.. Throw on a matching paint job.. and consider it done. What am i missing?

View attachment 694457

Masspilot

Yes I agree with duckworth I am currently building my camper box and you need a sturdy frame to keep it from shaking itself apart. That one that got built on national TV was cool looking but way to expensive and I am curious if it is still holding together. Make sure you do your homework

quickfarms

You need to avoid the ultra light weight wood framed trailers.

HI-LO trailers are not perfect but they are better constructed than most trailers

The key to keeping it together is to lessen the vibration and shock that is transferred to the trailer.

I went through a lot of designs. The first idea was to keep the trailer suspension, the second idea was to air ride the trailer but the final plan was to have the truck rear suspension rebuilt and down graded to the weight of the trailer and my junk now the truck rides nice and my air ride seat barely moves

Also the mounting needs to support the trailer like it is still on its wheels and have provisions so frame twist does not get transferred to the trailer

Last edited:

coachgeo

HI-LO trailers are not perfect but they are better constructed than most trailers

The key to keeping it together is to lessen the vibration and shock that is transferred to the trailer.

I went through a lot of designs. The first idea was to keep the trailer suspension, the second idea was to air ride the trailer but the final plan was to have the truck rear suspension rebuilt and down graded to the weight of the trailer and my junk now the truck rides nice and my air ride seat barely moves

Also the mounting needs to support the trailer like it is still on its wheels and have provisions so frame twist does not get transferred to the trailer

for Archival

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So... just bumping the post with the quote function, will prevent this, and how can you tell when a picture hasn’t been attached directly to the forum?

Givinup

If anyone has Instagram there are a few who have done this. I've messaged them to see if they have builds posted or websites, but none have so far. Search for 'slicknessindustries'. He has what he calls the dragon wagon, which he did this. Another is "yabanja". Took a hi lo and converted it to mount.

Now that I've stumbled upon these, I'm considering this as a box and them redoing the inside.

Need to do more research before deciding though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks