• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078

cheesehead dave

When we push the Red start button the starter engages and disengages constantly (chatters). We can start it by bypassing the start system and jumping the frame mounted solenoid. we tried changing the starter relay with no change. Any Ideas?

Ronmar

Measure the voltage at the power dist panel WHILE you are trying to start. You will probably find one that one is falling on its face under load(will pulse along with relays clicking). Check your connections between batteries and PDP, and of course that the batteries are fully charged.

A bad connection will pass full voltage untill you start to pull current thru it, then the high resistance connection will drop all the voltage. So you push the button the relays energize, the voltage drop de-energizes them, the voltage peaks and they re-energize and the cycle repeats.

this happened to me on day 2, it was a bad connection at the polarity protection device located between spare tire and air filter

if the voltage is stable under load at the PDP, then the issue lies doen the path to the aux start relay and the solenoid…

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Add a big ground wire from the batts negative to the main frame rail. And clean and tighten your battery terminals. Check the polarity box make sure all are tight. They are live so be careful or disconnect the batts.

Alfie 911

Add a big ground wire from the batts negative to the main frame rail. And clean and tighten your battery terminals. Check the polarity box make sure all are tight. They are live so be careful or disconnect the batts.
Good day n God bless , I was referred to console in your great knowledge by " coachgeo " . . . As my circumstances have presented quite a grand challenge , I purchased a 1997 salvaged M1078 from a salvage dealer from Illinois , obtaining a " bill of sale " and salvaged title , then restored it back to original " road ready " condition in Los Angeles, yet California won't register M1078 , yet Arizona will . . . So I recently received my Arizona drivers license to hopefully drive to Arizona and pass the " level 3 inspection " at the DOT( dept. of transportation ) I still need to insure the vehicle before the trip I think and maybe a " 3 day moving permit " from the California Motor Vehicle Dept. also prior to . . . the journey to Arizona registration , . . . . Does this make good sense . . . Or would you go about this differently ? . . . One of my buddies said to find someone who I can trust who owns land with a current mail box in Arizona . . Could do a lien sale on it , to obtain a clear title , then transfer or sell it back to me . . . That idea left me feeling sceptical towards depending on someone else maybe a little too much. . . . ? ! . . . I patiently await our respected advice with greatfull thanks and respect. . . .-AL

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good day n God bless , I was referred to console in your great knowledge by " coachgeo " . . . As my circumstances have presented quite a grand challenge , I purchased a 1997 salvaged M1078 from a salvage dealer from Illinois , obtaining a " bill of sale " and salvaged title , then restored it back to original " road ready " condition in Los Angeles, yet California won't register M1078 , yet Arizona will . . . So I recently received my Arizona drivers license to hopefully drive to Arizona and pass the " level 3 inspection " at the DOT( dept. of transportation ) I still need to insure the vehicle before the trip I think and maybe a " 3 day moving permit " from the California Motor Vehicle Dept. also prior to . . . the journey to Arizona registration , . . . . Does this make good sense . . . Or would you go about this differently ? . . . One of my buddies said to find someone who I can trust who owns land with a current mail box in Arizona . . Could do a lien sale on it , to obtain a clear title , then transfer or sell it back to me . . . That idea left me feeling sceptical towards depending on someone else maybe a little too much. . . . ? ! . . . I patiently await our respected advice with greatfull thanks and respect. . . .-AL
So, your post above says that you already have an Arizona drivers license. The address that you have on that piece of plastic should be what is on your title. You don't have to sell the M1078. You just "move" to your new state.

Worthy of mentioning: Having two drivers licenses from two states at the same time is definitely against the rules. California for example: California Vehicle Code §12511 states, "no person shall have in his or her possession or otherwise under his or her control more than one driver's license". There is also a FEDERAL prohibition on multiple licenses (identification cards). § 37.29 specifically prohibits holding more than one REAL ID card or more than one driver's license.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks