• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078a1 / m1081

smokin man

Hello all. As a new member, I've searched the forums for some information on the M1081. I'm hoping to get a bit of clarification on some differences between the M1078A1 and the M1081. The split wind screen is obvious. Same Cat power plant and Allison trans? I believe ABS is on them both too. Does the M1081 have lockers? Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

snowtrac nome

None of them had lockers, if you have abs and don't have a selectable locker, it will mess with your abs operation. this weekend was the first time I could have used a locker to get out of a bad situation otherwise the suspension flexes pretty well, and I haven't seen a need for it. Should a selectable locker become available I will likely get a set of selectable lockers. Where I'm at it would be more useful than a winch.

coachgeo

Hello all. As a new member, I've searched the forums for some information on the M1081. I'm hoping to get a bit of clarification on some differences between the M1078A1 and the M1081. The split wind screen is obvious. Same Cat power plant and Allison trans? I believe ABS is on them both too. Does the M1081 have lockers? Your help with this is greatly appreciated.
NO FMTV's (available to public at this time) HAS A LOCKER in any axle. Same Era A0, A1 etc. will have same engine and tranny between the two. Cab is more different than you list.

Snowtrac beat me to it (and is ton more knowledgeable)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1081 is a very special, very rare airdrop/LAPES equipped type of LMTV. The cab can be knocked down to the beltline. There are sling points in the cargo bed that permit the parachute harness to be attached. Otherwise it is the same as a M1078. There were no M1081A1's made EDIT this is not correct, see subsequent posts. The A1 designation indicates the engine has computer control.

Last edited:

coachgeo

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

coachgeo

smokin man

My goal is to secure an M1078A1. When I saw the M1081 it peaked my interest, but I have no need for more parts to rattle loose (especially in the cab). I've a few contacts left at Ft. Campbell that may be of some help; I'll be in touch w/ those bad asses after the New Year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks