• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078A1 new to me ?

Bigfan

Ok I have a 2003 LMTV M1078A1 arriving next week. its missing the rear drive shaft. Plan on ordering all new parts from the spreadsheet part numbers. Quick possible stupid question, (new to this) if I opt for the high speed gears, how many do I need? also on the spreadsheet for parts, how many of each item are needed, assumining more than one for a few things.

Thanks for help. Been researching online what I need to get but cant confirm amts etc. Lmtv i bought is missing the rear shaft, and has the part that attaches to rear axle damaged. trying to get ahead of the game and have all the parts here ready to go when it gets here.

M1078 LMTV Parts Spreadsheet (w/ CAT 3116)

coachgeo

IMHO expect it to have alot of issues if it is missing a drive shaft..... they would possibly not leave it off without a reason. LIke what where they working on? removed the drive shaft and discovered....... "oops."... "not worthy trying to save this one"..... granted it could also be...... "JOE...... we need a rear drive shaft.... which truck in here is the weakest/oldest/ ....." "with a good drive shaft to rob from"?

Bigfan

IMHO expect it to have alot of issues if it is missing a drive shaft..... they would possibly not leave it off without a reason. LIke what where they working on? removed the drive shaft and discovered....... "oops."... "not worthy trying to save this one"..... granted it could also be...... "JOE...... we need a rear drive shaft.... which truck in here is the weakest/oldest/ ....." "with a good drive shaft to rob from"?
pretty sure I know why its not there.

Attachments

coachgeo

pretty sure I know why its not there.
dont assume..... may be that way cause the rear third was sticking and putting extra stress on those ears... has happened..... orrr.. that is end result of driveline vibration (has happened too) and that vibration also may have caused transmission issues (which has happened ...... raising my hand to join the others )

Don't want to be a debbie downer... just offering realism... so the future is all up hill.. and not down hill before going up

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigfan,

I've been working on my own newly acquired and my first MV myself. It can become challenging and a PITA at times, but I love it, it keeps me on my toes.

With that said, keep your head up, and as they say, "hope for the best but prepare for the worst". There will be good times and there will be bad times. Ask questions, and as I have found, most of the members on here are GREAT and are a wealth of valuable information and will help you out, a few not so much!

As I was told early on when I received my MV, read through the TM's and learn the truck. The military TM's are different from the civilian vehicle manufactures factory service manuals, and it was a big learning curve for me. The only problem I have found with the current TM's are that they are for the A0's and not directly for the A1 or later. I have found that most all of the information in the current TM's relate directly to the A1's, but are missing some information for the A1's, as I have found.

The TM's are on this site but I downloaded the current TM's from this site. I believe these are the most current TM's available. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The first 10 and the last 3 TM's are for the M1078. Just click on each one you want, when it comes up, click on the red rectangle with "pdf" in it and it will load up the TM and you can save the file.

In reference to the high speed gears, I had looked into them also. Wow, crazy prices, hope you have deep pockets. You only need two, I need three for my MV. Crazy money!!!

As for the drive shafts, they are out there and I have found several member sell parts on here. Two of the three axles on my MV were damaged and had flat spots on them. It appears someone lifted the truck up with a large fork lift and damaged the front drive shaft and the drive shaft from the transmission to the intermediate axle. I removed them and took them to a business that build and repair drive shafts to have them repaired. One of the two damage shafts had to be completely rebuilt the other half rebuilt, and all three were balanced.

The drive shaft guy said that none of the three shafts were ever balanced. He said that he knew this because none of them had weights on them. He told me that no matter what, all drive shafts, new or used need to be balanced and if they have no weights on them they were never balanced. He also told me that most of his time is spent on balancing shafts from brand new trucks because they were never balanced to begin with. So, my point is when you get new shafts have them looked over by a experienced professional and have them balanced.

As far as any secondary damage from the drive shafts, the above comments from the more experienced and knowledgeable members are correct, look for additional damage to other parts.

Good luck, have fun with your MV and hang in there!

Be safe.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

I've seen damage like that caused from the forward ujoint grenading. It hits the pavement at speed and makes a hell of a show as it tears loose. If it were the front shaft forward of the transfer case, it's a far more expensive issue. But if that is what happened to this rear shaft, re-gutting that pumpkin is a lot easier/cheaper than the t-case. And while you have it open, I'd hit Bryce up and start pricing 3.07's.

Fingers crossed for ya...

Bigfan

I've seen damage like that caused from the forward ujoint grenading. It hits the pavement at speed and makes a hell of a show as it tears loose. If it were the front shaft forward of the transfer case, it's a far more expensive issue. But if that is what happened to this rear shaft, re-gutting that pumpkin is a lot easier/cheaper than the t-case. And while you have it open, I'd hit Bryce up and start pricing 3.07's.

Fingers crossed for ya...
Thanks for the replies. Who is Bryce ? Yes I plan on doing the high speed gears. Actually had them ordered and supplier just emailed and said they were not available anymore and sending me a refund. Will try someplace else. From pictures appears just the rear is screwed up. Once I receive it will go through with fine tooth comb. Needs new batteries and possible a starter. In addition to shaft issues and gears.

Third From Texas

Thanks for the replies. Who is Bryce ? Yes I plan on doing the high speed gears. Actually had them ordered and supplier just emailed and said they were not available anymore and sending me a refund. Will try someplace else. From pictures appears just the rear is screwed up. Once I receive it will go through with fine tooth comb. Needs new batteries and possible a starter. In addition to shaft issues and gears.
Bryce is a young fellow who travels the country installing highspeed gears/lockers for folks. He's around here some but I always found him on the FB groups (back before I nuked FB). I've spoken with him a number of times on driveline issues and parts. There are other parts flippers and even a few installers, but he's the only one that comes to you that I know of and honestly I've found his quotes to be the best. If you ask about regearing anyplace outside of SS (and there are dozens of very popular groups) Bryce's name will be the one you hear.

By all means, shop around when it comes to buy anything for the truck. And learn all the right questions (like new/used parts, new vs used seals, new old stock vs fresh...especially rubber parts...warranty, etc, etc). For everything sold out there for a dollar there are vendors who will gladly sell it to you for a hundred...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks