• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 van body on M1078

coachgeo

Yep that is correct. If I were to load my enclosure enough then I would be over the rated weight for the original M1078 suspension. I should still be within the ratings of the M1078 suspension as it sits today and after adding a couple of things inside.
>M1078 suspension is burdened via heavy loads occasionally.. while the M10xx is always burdened with a heavy load when the 1079box is on it.

>Sometimes there is wisdom to not second guess the design engineers... especially when the design added expense and not reduced it.

Just somethings to go hmmmmm??? about when contemplating suspension and stress on chassis.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
>M1078 suspension is burdened via heavy loads occasionally.. while the M10xx is always burdened with a heavy load when the 1079box is on it.

>Sometimes there is wisdom to not second guess the design engineers... especially when the design added expense and not reduced it.

Just somethings to go hmmmmm??? about when contemplating suspension and stress on chassis.
The M1079 frame rail section is braced at the front, rear, and middle. The M1078 upper rail is not, but that it taken care of by the flat bed mounted to it. The M1079 also has plates at the rear of the frame that tie the top and bottom frame rail sections together. That's one of the reasons I swapped all of this onto mine.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the GVW of my 1079 is still 5.000lbs higher than it's curb weight. So even with the enclosure bringing the curb weight up to 21.5k vs 17.5k for the 1-78 it is rated for another 5k on top of that. GVW on my 1079 is 25,980
The curb weight of my 2008 M1078 A1R is 19,598, GVWR is 24,598, rear axle is rated at 11,158, so I would guess the rear springs in an M1078 A1R are the same as a 1079.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The curb weight of my 2008 M1078 A1R is 19,598, GVWR is 24,598, rear axle is rated at 11,158, so I would guess the rear springs in an M1078 A1R are the same as a 1079.
You ran it over the scales? That seems excessively heavy for a 1078. My truck is 21,950 with me and the dog and some gear in the habitat. The M1079 box weighs 3,360 lbs although I did pull about 700 lbs of steel plating out of mine prior to going over the scales.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You ran it over the scales? That seems excessively heavy for a 1078. My truck is 21,950 with me and the dog and some gear in the habitat. The M1079 box weighs 3,360 lbs although I did pull about 700 lbs of steel plating out of mine prior to going over the scales.
No, just giving the info off of the plate on the door, but it has to be pretty close or they would be creating a situation where the truck could be overloaded since it states what the GVWR is. If the curb weight is actually only 17,500 and someone loads it to it rated max, you would be putting 7,000 lbs on it.

In the case of my truck being a late model A1R and how it is configured there are some things that would increase the curb weight, coilover front shocks, high pinion rear diff, winch, etc.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, just giving the info off of the plate on the door, but it has to be pretty close or they would be creating a situation where the truck could be overloaded since it states what the GVWR is. If the curb weight is actually only 17,500 and someone loads it to it rated max, you would be putting 7,000 lbs on it.

In the case of my truck being a late model A1R and how it is configured there are some things that would increase the curb weight, coilover front shocks, high pinion rear diff, winch, etc.
The winch does add a bit. @Lostchain has a 2003 M1078 w/winch and his truck is 18,500 on the scales. Your truck is probably very similar. Yes you have coil-overs but his truck has cab air ride so probably a wash there. Rear diff probably weighs a bit more but were not talking about 1,000 lbs here. I would be surprised if it was different than his truck by more than 100 lbs.

The 2.5 ton (5,000 lb) cargo rating is more a function of where the weight is added (up high) and is an off-road rating. The chassis can handle a LOT more than 5k if properly distributed. The M1078 A1P2 has a 4500lb cab, and about 2000 lbs of ballast weight under the cargo bed over the rear axle and still carries the same cargo rating. I'll have to look at the GVWR on them.

The generally accepted rule with the FMTV and the published specs of the M35 series trucks they replaced is that the on-road rating is double so the LMTV becomes a 5 ton and the MTV becomes a 10 ton when used on-road. That has a lot to do with ground pressure and center of gravity and a lot less to do with the strength of the chassis. suspension, axles, and performance characteristics.

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch does add a bit. @Lostchain has a 2003 M1078 w/winch and his truck is 18,500 on the scales. Your truck is probably very similar. Yes you have coil-overs but his truck has cab air ride so probably a wash there. Rear diff probably weighs a bit more but were not talking about 1,000 lbs here. I would be surprised if it was different than his truck by more than 100 lbs.

The 2.5 ton (5,000 lb) cargo rating is more a function of where the weight is added (up high) and is an off-road rating. The chassis can handle a LOT more than 5k if properly distributed. The M1078 A1P2 has a 4500lb cab, and about 2000 lbs of ballast weight under the cargo bed over the rear axle and still carries the same cargo rating. I'll have to look at the GVWR on them.

The generally accepted rule with the LMTV and the published specs of the M35 series trucks is that the on-road rating is double so the LMTV becomes a 5 ton and the FMTV becomes a 10 ton when used on-road. That has a lot to do with ground pressure and center of gravity and a lot less to do with the strength of the chassis. suspension, axles, and performance characteristics.
I'm willing to bet the high pinion rear diff easily adds 200-300 lbs, maybe more. There is a lot of iron in that housing. Anyway, at some point I'll get it on the scales. I have removed a fair amount of weight too. All the cab interior storage, middle seat, troop seats etc.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm willing to bet the high pinion rear diff easily adds 200-300 lbs, maybe more. There is a lot of iron in that housing. Anyway, at some point I'll get it on the scales. I have removed a fair amount of weight too. All the cab interior storage, middle seat, troop seats etc.
Doubt it. That's probably about an extra 100 lbs. Wrenching for over 20 years has given me a pretty keen eye for such estimates. And when you subtract the weight savings of your 5 alloy rims it's probably irrelevant. Like I said I bet your truck is within 100 lbs of 18.500 lbs. The cab interior pieces aren't very heavy. And his truck never had troop seats so that's already deducted.

I'll get the GVWR of the A1P2. Just don't have one in my pocket to check at the moment.

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doubt it. That's probably about an extra 100 lbs. Wrenching for over 20 years has given me a pretty keen eye for such estimates. And when you subtract the weight savings of your 5 alloy rims it's probably irrelevant. Like I said I bet your truck is within 100 lbs of 18.500 lbs. The cab interior pieces aren't very heavy. And his truck never had troop seats so that's already deducted.

I'll get the GVWR of the A1P2. Just don't have one in my pocket to check at the moment.
I wasn't trying to say my truck as it sits with the aluminum wheels weighs what the plate on the door says, just what BAE says it weighed as built.

Last edited:

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, had the truck weighted today. As it sits currently it weighs 18,540 lbs. Given that this weight is less all the interior storage, center seat/seat belt, the roughly 50lbs decrease per aluminum wheel, troop seating and canvass cover/ bows/hardware, the curb weight as delivered from BAE Systems was probably pretty close to the 19,598 the plate on the door states.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, had the truck weighted today. As it sits currently it weighs 18,540 lbs. Given that this weight is less all the interior storage, center seat/seat belt, the roughly 50lbs decrease per aluminum wheel, troop seating and canvass cover/ bows/hardware, the curb weight as delivered from BAE Systems was probably pretty close to the 19,598 the plate on the door states.
Well - the rims are 250 lbs, but curb weight includes fuel and passengers - full tank is 400 lbs of diesel...... 600 lbs of driver and two passengers.... I doubt the interior bits are more than 100 lbs. Depending on how much fuel you had on the truck at the time - I don't see you getting there without passengers and fuel....

But regardless - mostly without fail the empty M1078's without winch are about 17,500, and the M0178's with winch are about 18.500. Just what people typically report for soft cabs. You could easily load another 10,000 on the chassis (on road only) if it's distributed correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks