• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 van body on M1078

g4g63tgvr4

I removed all wall and floor plates. I had to drill out every bolt. (way more than a few hundred pounds) I did not have to remove the lower spreader because I kept the m1078 upper rail. The very top of your 1079 box, in the front, you have two more spreaders that also extend out.

My box empty-ish as it sits on the m1078 springs; is, in my opinion over sprung. I have added four more batteries, heater, steel framing, etc.
lots more to add so we will see how it sits. Could use better shocks for sure.

No, I wish they were. I could have gotten them actually before that section was scrapped, but like I said I never imagined they were different. I didn't spot the 2mm difference LOL. Kicking myself now, but hey, it happens. I can probably save enough weight that it won't matter, but I would like to at least be able to install them if needed.

Can you give us a quick rundown of the items you removed to save weight? It looks like you eliminated the side spreader bars and the channel that held them? I was thinking I would at least take up those metal strips that are bolted in the floor. That would probably save a couple hundred pounds.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed all wall and floor plates. I had to drill out every bolt. (way more than a few hundred pounds) I did not have to remove the lower spreader because I kept the m1078 upper rail. The very top of your 1079 box, in the front, you have two more spreaders that also extend out.

My box empty-ish as it sits on the m1078 springs; is, in my opinion over sprung. I have added four more batteries, heater, steel framing, etc.
lots more to add so we will see how it sits. Could use better shocks for sure.
OK gotcha. So it feels almost too stiff right now? My main use would be to put some basic amenities in it to use it as an RV and mobile ham (radio) shack. I would like to do that in such a way that the interior could be easily removed or rearranged in case I need to actually haul things inside. I have an M1082 trailer also, so I can still have open bed capabilities if needed, and I could use the frame and tarp cover on the trailer. Your mounts look good and I think that is really the easiest way to mount the box. One of my concerns with welding to the upper frame rail was the heat treating of the steel, but that may not be important. I'm glad you posted your thread; it makes me really want to get mine done!

SteelPeak

I put an m1079 box on my m1078 chassis with custom captured spring mounts I made. I was also able to remove over 1000lbs in useless items from the box.
Did use the factory springs for the front mounts or we're you able to find something similar aftermarket? Hard mount both front & rear? I've located a box that is in great shape and not far from where I live, but the seller doesn't have any of the mounting hardware and I'm having a hard time finding front mount springs. Would love to find out more specifics on how you went about it. Tks

g4g63tgvr4

Did use the factory springs for the front mounts or we're you able to find something similar aftermarket? Hard mount both front & rear? I've located a box that is in great shape and not far from where I live, but the seller doesn't have any of the mounting hardware and I'm having a hard time finding front mount springs. Would love to find out more specifics on how you went about it. Tks
I did use the factory springs, they are nothing special. the "bolts" are high grade all thread with holes for castle nuts. I used 4x4" 1/2" wall square tube, and 1/2' plate. photos in this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?165285-First-LMTV/page2

g4g63tgvr4

I did use the factory springs, they are nothing special. the "bolts" are high grade all thread with holes for castle nuts. I used 4x4" 1/2" wall square tube, and 1/2' plate. photos in this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?165285-First-LMTV/page2
Some things to note. The pads on the box are offset in height by 1/4''- higher in the front. the frame mounts are not. The rubber pads in the back are about 1/4'' thick and 1/2'' in the front. Back has no spring, front is captured.

SteelPeak

Some things to note. The pads on the box are offset in height by 1/4''- higher in the front. the frame mounts are not. The rubber pads in the back are about 1/4'' thick and 1/2'' in the front. Back has no spring, front is captured.
Did you have any trouble wiring marker lights from box to 1078?

Juanri23

Hola a todos, he visto la publicación y estoy en un punto similar, tengo un refugio s-280 y quiero montarlo en mi m1078, tengo la cama de la tropa montada y estaba pensando en arreglarlo con anclajes personalizados para la cama para la parte Baje los lados y las esquinas, ¿cree que es una buena idea para la estructura del refugio? ¿O debería hacer un sub marco? gracias foto adjunta IMG_20191204_224528_738.jpg

Juanri23

Well, now I have remained unanswered. It is true that there is some minimal difference and they did not find out which model it is ... does anyone know?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1079 leaf spring differences. Today discovered the way they wrap end bushings is slightly different between the 1079 and 1078.
That's interesting. For what it's worth I have been driving mine with the original M1078 springs and it seems fine so far. It does tend to rock and roll a little on the road but it's within a small range of movement, if that makes sense. I haven't really done any offroading yet other than driving it around my field. I removed at least 2000 lbs of weight when I removed the bed, and with removing the floor strip plates in the van enclosure. The enclosure as it sits probably weighs around 3000 lbs (very rough estimate).

coachgeo

That's interesting. For what it's worth I have been driving mine with the original M1078 springs and it seems fine so far. It does tend to rock and roll a little on the road but it's within a small range of movement, if that makes sense. I haven't really done any offroading yet other than driving it around my field. I removed at least 2000 lbs of weight when I removed the bed, and with removing the floor strip plates in the van enclosure. The enclosure as it sits probably weighs around 3000 lbs (very rough estimate).
besides load weight controll they may have gone stiffer to put less strain on the chassis so it does not crack???

below link to post in this thread does mention the 1079 has wider springs. Guess the mm fooled me.... I measured on the inch scale between my two outside and saw no difference... even with an inch ruler my eyecrometer was off

coachgeo

Hola a todos, he visto la publicación y estoy en un punto similar, tengo un refugio s-280 y quiero montarlo en mi m1078, tengo la cama de la tropa montada y estaba pensando en arreglarlo con anclajes personalizados para la cama para la parte Baje los lados y las esquinas, ¿cree que es una buena idea para la estructura del refugio? ¿O debería hacer un sub marco? gracias foto adjunta View attachment 786484
think now it is Belgian Army Fokker FM2 Shelter

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2008 M1079A1R has no noticeable "rock and roll" on the road. Not sure what you are experiencing exactly but mine is absolutely stable.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2008 M1079A1R has no noticeable "rock and roll" on the road. Not sure what you are experiencing exactly but mine is absolutely stable.
That's the thing, it's hard to say what is nominal unless you drive another one for comparison. Mine is stable, it just has more roll than it did with the flat bed. Weight for weight I should still be under the rated weight for a loaded M1078, but now the center of gravity is higher. Keep in mind I am also talking about some back roads with lots of dips and stuff.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the thing, it's hard to say what is nominal unless you drive another one for comparison. Mine is stable, it just has more roll than it did with the flat bed. Weight for weight I should still be under the rated weight for a loaded M1078, but now the center of gravity is higher. Keep in mind I am also talking about some back roads with lots of dips and stuff.

Well the GVW of my 1079 is still 5.000lbs higher than it's curb weight. So even with the enclosure bringing the curb weight up to 21.5k vs 17.5k for the 1-78 it is rated for another 5k on top of that. GVW on my 1079 is 25,980

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the GVW of my 1079 is still 5.000lbs higher than it's curb weight. So even with the enclosure bringing the curb weight up to 21.5k vs 17.5k for the 1-78 it is rated for another 5k on top of that. GVW on my 1079 is 25,980
Yep that is correct. If I were to load my enclosure enough then I would be over the rated weight for the original M1078 suspension. I should still be within the ratings of the M1078 suspension as it sits today and after adding a couple of things inside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks