• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 crane on half-track

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
11Echo was nice enough to send these pics to me. I got a hold of the salvage yard to see about buying the outriggers and was told no. So I ask how much for the whole thing... only 10,000. Guy was all about it runs. Ya right, with two days of solid work it might move under it's own power. To me saying something runs means I can get in it and drive it down the road.

I'm thinking this was a bubba job, but I don't know for sure. 11Echo said he's heard of them being modified this way. Here's the contact info if you really feel the need to buy it.

Raiti Truck Salvage & Towing, Transfer PA 16154 -- MerchantCircle.com

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya know, he is not too far off on the value. Those ragged cab and chassis half tracks are bringing big bucks.

Alredneck

Banned
Wow,$10K huh! If I won the lottery!

It would make a sweet offroad recovery vehicle. Mount some wide super singles in the front, 5.9 cummins power. Alot of sandblasting and some new O.D. paint! She would be killer!

M920

Wow....it runs huh?!? Boy I'd hate to see what his non-runners look like.... LOL

Cool vehicle thought....thanks for the pics.

Soni

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it only has one outrigger anyway. Call Hawthorne tractor in Lake City and ask if they will sell an outrigger off the M108 bed they have mounted on a M49 chassis. If so I could pick it up for you when I go there before thanksgiving and give to Clinto or Twright and Gimp could get it for you from them at next GA rally.2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if this was a mil. mount, the 108 bed would not have the notches in the sides for the deuce duels as shown in pic. 1

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, who would have thought someone would find a 108 1/2 track, let alone 2

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say it's a different one, but the same truck. Paint colors are different on the bumper and controls for the crane. Also note the controls are moved to behind the drivers seat, no cab for the crane, and toolbox's are not there. Interesting that 2 of them are modified the same. Wonder if a company or the army was modifying surplus half tracks. It's near Transfer, PA, at the Ohio/Pa line.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like it only has one outrigger anyway. Call Hawthorne tractor in Lake City and ask if they will sell an outrigger off the M108 bed they have mounted on a M49 chassis. If so I could pick it up for you when I go there before thanksgiving and give to Clinto or Twright and Gimp could get it for you from them at next GA rally.2cents
I will try to call them Monday. Be nice to have all 4 outriggers instead of 2.

Dennis

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what I find interesting is the A/W plate on the fender of the first one in this thread, almost like A/W did the MOD.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks