• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 deuce wrecker engine swap

Welder1

Thanks Chuck the parts cleaned up well no issues. I am available to support others on their projects. My blast pot holds 6,000 lbs of sand and the silo that feeds it holds 30 tons.

Eddie

FloridaAKM

Did you have a hard time welding up the holes in the top due to the rust? The reason I'm asking is that I have some significant rust on a truck I just got that has perforations thru the metal in spots in the hardtop sides.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the top sand blasted so all of the rust was gone. The holes welded up were from rust. The hardest part was that the top metal is very thin so you slowly have build up the weld without blowing the hole bigger.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics or actual work, however over the weekend I did find an assortment of “new” hoses for the Austin Western crane. All are unused, pliable No cracking etc. stored in doors with the proper connectors .

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pics or actual work, however over the weekend I did find an assortment of “new” hoses for the Austin Western crane. All are unused, pliable No cracking etc. stored in doors with the proper connectors .
Given the production dates of these cranes, I find it truly amazing that stuff like this still pops up. Are all of these hoses easily changeable once the truck is fully assembled? What I am gett ing at is that, if there is a hose that would be a real PITA to change, that is the one that one might consider having re-made from current new hose, using the old connectors if needed.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I get to the crane I will inspect and replace what is needed. These hoses I found are 5 years old. A Napa store had the old hose ends in stock and made them for the previous owner. Actually he had 2 complete sets made but when he sold the m62 most went with the truck.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! It is such a rewarding feeling when the lump starts up for the first time and runs as if it had never stopped. Good job!
I am still psychologically damaged from my first ever multi rebuild/refresh and in the back of my head expect it to go into some kind of self destruct sequence whenever I start it up.

And, for the record, I am not at all envious of the work space you appear to be enjoying. Not one bit. :)

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be honest I still think the whole thing will grenade itself at any moment. I definitely couldn’t have gotten this far without some help from knowledgeable friends . While to some this may be a weekend project for me this has been a huge task . I had never attempted anything similar but I keep plugging along. So far not bad for a guy with no experience and bunch of harbor freight and craftsman tools. :D:D:D:D

My latest issue is I think I maybe blew the regulator on the fire wall. The truck built air to 90psi but then the regulator started leaking. Will need to investigate further .

next on the list is to get the brakes up and start to clean and paint the cab interior .

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interior of cab sanded and painted. Installed a new drivers seat. Believe it came out of a m923. Picked it up at a flee market for cheap. If anyone installs one of these seats you will need to drill the seat base holes to match the mounting points in the m44 series cab. The bases are the same size but none of the holes line up.

The seat was wet in the pic

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks