• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 from gas to multi

nattieleather

How much time and how much money do you have. Anything can be done if you have plenty of both.

I'm confused are you taking a GMC and wanting to put the M35 multifuel in it or are you talking about the conversion like recovery did? Because if it is a GMC you also have the automatic transmission to talk about.

You did post this in the GMC forum so you can see my confussion....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He wants to convert an M108 just as I did. In reality, it takes time but not too much work. Almost no fabrication was necessary. Having a parts truck on hand is a blessing.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I could lend you a hand....Done the gasser to MF conversion three times now, with no access to A2 parts...! (and no big money either… but prolly a bit more time and patience, yes... :) )
That means: fabricating the pass. side rear engine support bracket, create custom front engine mounts, cutting/modifying front cross-member and radiator support, switch positions btw. filler neck and inlet port to be able to use a new HD gasser radiator (only one case), modifying dash panel to accept the 2"-wider MF instrument panel, etc.

G.

tmbrwolf

If you have a parts truck I would think it could be done easily! Remember many duece's were converted from gas to multifuel by the military, I've had several in the motor pool while on actiive duty.

Barrman

Tom, Spicer gear, put one of the CAT engines in his M35. It is tight, but it fits and drives great. Figure 34" between the frame rails. If it will fit that way, just about anything else can be made to fit.

tmbrwolf

I think a 250 Cummins in an M62 wouldn't fit (too long), but as with the 2 1/2 ton many 5 tons were converted to multifuel buy the military, easiest way is to get a doner parts truck and swap over the components.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Attachments

nattieleather

Yep...the 800 serries 5 tons have a longer nose to allow for the cummins to fit. As I understand it the multifuel in the 5 ton is the same as the one in the 2.5 tons except that the 5 ton has the oil pan reversed and a bigger turbo, plus I believe either the IP is bigger or has been turned up allowing for more power in the 5 ton.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you about it Clinto, the oil tank and tool boxes are missing. I have that pic in my file but never contacted the owner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks