• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1081 Injectors

Shbennett1985

Great eye on the missing bolt in the bracket under power steering pump!

I’ve got the truck back working on timing the injectors as we speak. I’m going off the spec listed on the valve cover but I’m confused. There are two data plates. One says (aluminum)3126 and the other says 3116? The aluminum plate states injector timing should be 65.39mm. Do you think this is correct?

Attachments

Ronmar

Great eye on the missing bolt in the bracket under power steering pump!

I’ve got the truck back working on timing the injectors as we speak. I’m going off the spec listed on the valve cover but I’m confused. There are two data plates. One says (aluminum)3126 and the other says 3116? The aluminum plate states injector timing should be 65.39mm. Do you think this is correct?
Well that right there is a genuine Caterpillar typo. That is a 6.6L 3116, note both labels have the same serial number... Yes, 65.39MM or 2.574” is the injector height/timing setting.

So, your truck has the bracket that goes from the lower steering pump bolt to the side of the engine block? It is #17 in this drawing, they are usually green, and many trucks have been missing them, which results in a cracked timing case, usually with a little help from out of balance driveshafts...

CB9C1FD7-DC8B-4642-AB41-68557FFADF35.jpeg

Ronmar

Thank you, and yes I do have the bracket, in photo below.

I’m finding some of the injectors are set at 2.60in. Would this cause issue?

Is this correct specs for valve timing?
.38mm intake valve
.64mm exhaust valve

Working on the valves as we speak.
The timing tolerance is +/- 0.2MM or .0074”, so probably not that much difference.

yes, that is the correct valve clearance.

B7A72128-FABA-4FA7-AD21-C33567203B4F.png

Shbennett1985

Ronmar, you are amazing. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I couldn’t have
done this valve adjustment without your help! I wish you the best karma man! 🙏🏻🙏🏻

The engine runs much better now after valve adjustment and injector timing adjustment. Holds 50 mph pretty well on flat ground. Much less smoke. Over all far better power. Here is a video of the engine running without valve cover, thought it was cool!

Ronmar

1 152
2 162
3 214
4 225
5 201
6 160

also, what is the switch on the pic below.
Those are still a little uneven, the racks may need adjustment, but I would run some good cleaner thru it first...

that isn’t a switch, that is a battery level tester for the old style capped wet cells. Remove cap, insert into hole and if it can touch electrolyte it will light the led. Doesn’t work with sealed batteries...

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the NATO Slave Plug. Can be use to jump start the truck if the have the correct cable for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks