• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1082 Max Speed

sandcobra164

Keep in mind that the max speed you're allowed to operate a tactical vehicle on every post I've been to is 40 m.p.h. The TM may be written to reflect this line of thinking. Every National Guardsman I know runs them at the posted limit or 62 mph (governor setting on LMTV), whichever is lower once off post.

lmtvjunky

Loaded down with 5000 lbs of a crated 8.3 Cummins fully dressed, parts out the wazzoo 80mph towing with a duramax from Missouri to California, smooth as butter

aleigh

The one you have did just fine loaded at hwy speed across TX and NM....
Haha that's priceless. It did fine down to PHX obviously, couldn't even tell it was there. Just wondering what their logic was. Then again there is no way these things "only" hold 2 1/2 tons on highway...

FloridaAKM

I am going to drag my M1082 home tomorrow for the last leg of a recovery from Ft Bragg that started its journey back in March of this year. Thanks Wes for towing her to Newberry Florida & Sandcobra for storing her for so many,many months. Max speed, probably 45-50 mph as the Deuce tows, just as long as she gets home finally. Would I tow her @ interstate speeds, no. The laws of physics prevents it with a Deuce or the LMTV fortunately.

aleigh

I am going to drag my M1082 home tomorrow for the last leg of a recovery from Ft Bragg that started its journey back in March of this year. Thanks Wes for towing her to Newberry Florida & Sandcobra for storing her for so many,many months. Max speed, probably 45-50 mph as the Deuce tows, just as long as she gets home finally. Would I tow her @ interstate speeds, no. The laws of physics prevents it with a Deuce or the LMTV fortunately.
I don't quite follow. If by laws of physics you mean the gears, because I am pretty sure the guys with the FMTV hwy gears would say it's quite possible to tow one at interstate speeds with a M/V. Are you suggesting the manual is right and there is some reason not to, if you otherwise could?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have pulled mine with both the LMTV and the 923. The 923 pulled it at 65 no problem and it felt exactly the same as the LMTV pulling at 45-55. Hubs were nice and cool and the brakes were flawless. In fact, it was FloridaAKM's trailer that I picked up for Wes to get here. Trailer pulls perfect.

FloridaAKM

I am suggesting that my M1081 stock truck with stock gears & all won't tow anything over 60 mph max. Now if we arrange an airdrop with a defective parachute trio, will make it over 80 mph before it all goes splat. Guys with hi speed gears can tow faster if they desire, but I am happy @ the normal military vehicle speed range as long as it is over 45 mph.

expeditionnw

on the topic of hwy speeds in an LMTV. Hi speed gears is the best thing you can do for your truck. They ARE engineered for "high speed". Sorry but that claim is completely unfounded. The idea that an LMTV or its matching trailer wont handle 80mph is not backed by any amount of fact. Every part in these chassis are used in the civilian world on commercial hwy trucks every day.

As someone who actually does travel at 75mph in my MTV, I can say definitively the truck is far happier turning low rpms than high rpms. But there will always be the "experts".

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
on the topic of hwy speeds in an LMTV. Hi speed gears is the best thing you can do for your truck. They ARE engineered for "high speed". Sorry but that claim is completely unfounded. The idea that an LMTV or its matching trailer wont handle 80mph is not backed by any amount of fact. Every part in these chassis are used in the civilian world on commercial hwy trucks every day.

As someone who actually does travel at 75mph in my MTV, I can say definitively the truck is far happier turning low rpms than high rpms. But there will always be the "experts".
Tires?

expeditionnw

81. They are also rated at 9370lbs at 95psi which your wheels aren't rated for.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Not sure what you are getting at. Are you meaning to say that a tire rated for 9370lbs and 81mph, is not working within its perimeters when loaded at 5000lbs (or less), set at 55psi, and spinning at 75mph?

Or are you just splitting hairs?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not sure what you are getting at. Are you meaning to say that a tire rated for 9370lbs and 81mph, is not working within its perimeters when loaded at 5000lbs (or less), set at 55psi, and spinning at 75mph?

Or are you just splitting hairs?
Highway rating is 95psi for 81mph.

cross country rating is 55psi and only rated for 40mph.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks