• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1082 trailer brake release

mmthomas

Folks,

first time jumping in and looking to buy a LMTV trailer; have a towing question:

I need to tow it a few hundred miles with a non air brake truck (F450) and need to release the brakes. Does the air brakes have the emergency release hole or is there another way to simple release the brakes?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Folks,

first time jumping in and looking to buy a LMTV trailer; have a towing question:

I need to tow it a few hundred miles with a non air brake truck (F450) and need to release the brakes. Does the air brakes have the emergency release hole or is there another way to simple release the brakes?
There are air brake cans on the rear axle that are compressed with a bolt. Bolt should be stored on the side of the "can". Nut uses a 3/4" wrench. Don't try to go nuts and use an impact wrench... Take your time and stop turning the nut when it won't turn any more. Front brakes do not lock. There are two double chambers on both wheels. Need to "cage the brakes" in all four places. (or at least it is that way on a truck axle)

REMEMBER: Block (Chock) the wheels because with the brakes caged, the trailer can roll.

The trailer is heavy, so remember that with no brakes it wants to push you...

---

I grabbed a quick picture. Yes, this is on a truck axle, but the concept is the same.

Caging Brakes TM-9-2320-364-10_837_4.jpg

---

The Technical Manual (TM) for the M1082 Trailer has more details and "how to" information.
TM 9-2330-394-13&P

It also has a picture of the axle showing two "cans" on each wheel. Picture below:

M1082 Brake Chambers TM-9-2330-394-13.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G

Reworked LMTV

Expedition Campers Limited, LLC
Supporting Vendor
I looked at pulling a trailer like this. I would recommend having it shipped. Glad I did. Tires were in such poor condition. Gash down to steel belts of one side.

mmthomas

I looked at pulling a trailer like this. I would recommend having it shipped. Glad I did. Tires were in such poor condition. Gash down to steel belts of one side.
Fortunately I have some mrap 395’s that I’ll bring, if we don’t ship it.

i’ve never shipped from a government facility, always a pick up, how challenging is it?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fortunately I have some mrap 395’s that I’ll bring, if we don’t ship it.

i’ve never shipped from a government facility, always a pick up, how challenging is it?
If it’s an off base site pretty easy all you need is your release form (printed!)

As far as the 1082 they are horribly tongue heavy. With no brakes they will push your 450 hard , especially turn/braking combo. You do you but having one of these there is no way I would do what you are planning

Reworked LMTV

Expedition Campers Limited, LLC
Supporting Vendor
If it’s an off base site pretty easy all you need is your release form (printed!)

As far as the 1082 they are horribly tongue heavy. With no brakes they will push your 450 hard , especially turn/braking combo. You do you but having one of these there is no way I would do what you are planning
I concur. These trailers are very tongue heavy. I assume you have a pintle hitch and tow lights adapter? Towing like this I believe is very illegal. Honestly, It is not worth the risk. You do not know what you are getting from surplus. Lights may not work. Things are rusty. Will the crank work on tongue? Too many unknowns. Also, you are in California. Yeah, don't do that. They will hang you from the highest tree there if something goes wrong and also blame Trump!

"Hey there's a trailer like ours that just passed us!" Wife: " that IS our trailer!"

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big thing is carry the cageing bolts and nuts with you if not you get there and someone has robed them you also need a highjack (FARM JACK) THE ONES SEEN BOLTED ON ALL THE 4X4 TRUCKS AND JEEPS .You will need it to jack up the front tounge of trailer to un pin and crank up the trailer tounge jack then you need a pair of mgnetic tail lights from harbour freight where you can also get that jack if you dont have one also carry a big adjustable wrench in case the trailer jack handle is missing to retract trailr jack . Ive bought and brought home 2 of the 1082 with a 2500 you will be golden with a 4500 no worries . drop the back tailgate stick the magnetic tail lights on the floor of the trailer plug the other end to the truck. Orileys have the cageing bolts may have to order so get them ahead of time. Oh and leave the brakes set {aplied} till you have lowered the trailer onto your pintle and latched it then cage the brakes

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks,

Will you be towing it between L.A. and BAKERSFIELD? going north or south ? if going south on the 5 its a piece of cake if your going north i would take your time going down the grapevine and i would take the folding side walls off and slide them in their storage boxs on the right side of the trailer it doesnt look so ominous draw less attention ! I had state troopers pass me on the interstate both times i brought mine home 300 miles easy peasy

Third From Texas

An F450 can pull it of course, but it's a tough call. Getting caught w/o brake is likely more than just a slap on the wrist, though (never looked up the penalty, but I hate to admit that I have done it...twice). Both my M1082's were recovered (one 400 miles; one 100 miles) with no brakes BUT....I was pulling with my M1079 that has a Jake brake (you never even know it's back there). I taped up the glad hands so they appeared connected and just rolled along home.

And if you do pull it, do as Chucky says and stow the side panels and tailgate.

Traditional shipping should run about $2/mile. Not much to it: driver needs the Release doc from GP to show at pickup, GP will need the carrier's BOL. You'll want to contact GP support and get: the address, phone, and pickup hours allowed for gate access (and they may ask you to email them your BOL). Most haulers who do military recovery are up on the procedure. Someone here may even have a recommendation for you.

Good luck

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An F450 can pull it of course, but it's a tough call. Getting caught w/o brake is likely more than just a slap on the wrist, though (never looked up the penalty, but I hate to admit that I have done it...twice). Both my M1082's were recovered (one 400 miles; one 100 miles) with no brakes BUT....I was pulling with my M1079 that has a Jake brake (you never even know it's back there). I taped up the glad hands so they appeared connected and just rolled along home.

And if you do pull it, do as Chucky says and stow the side panels and tailgate.

Traditional shipping should run about $2/mile. Not much to it: driver needs the Release doc from GP to show at pickup, GP will need the carrier's BOL. You'll want to contact GP support and get: the address, phone, and pickup hours allowed for gate access (and they may ask you to email them your BOL). Most haulers who do military recovery are up on the procedure. Someone here may even have a recommendation for you.

Good luck
Bottom line do the safe thing if you dont feel comfortable with it dont do it .Always follow your gut instinct I suffer with sever case of habitual line crosser and risk taker topped off with cheapassedness and with that statement understood when i picked up this trailer i would take both red and blue air lines off the trailer completly bury them somewhere in the truck cross your safety chains and tape your wires going to the magnetic tail lights on the tounge of the trailer so you really SEE them on the drivers side in case your passed by the chp everything looks copacetic if you do get pulled over your anwsers start and end with yes sir and no sir and all he knows is what you tell him ,You just bought this at a auction you dont know nothing about it your just takeing it home for your local mechanic to go over it and long as its got working lights on it and your not for hire in any way they have better things to do than mess with you if your not causing problems ! If you move it between 11 pm and 4 am its hard to find a chp on I-5 . And diesel is averaging $4.12.9 a gallon in cali today so you might get a quote from a trucking co. and weigh all your options .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks