• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1082 w/600 Gal Alum Liq Storage Tank

CaCajun

Our SAR unit is equipped with 2 HMMWV's, 2 LMTV's, 2 trailer mount 30kW gensets, and 1 C&C trailer w/onboard genset pulled by a 3500 truck. All of these require diesel to operate. I have been thinking about a way to be fuel self-sufficient while on deployment and found some 600 gallon (MIL-T-22238 ) tanks out there and was curious if anyone ever loaded this onto a M1082 for hauling and storing diesel (no off-road or cross-country driving, only highway and improved surface roadway) or would it be too risky? This would be only for deployment prior to or just after a natural disaster to our staging area for refueling our vehicles and gensets as needed. We do also have 2 M1101's but they are almost useless as the rated capacity is so low. Thank you for any feedback.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a bit tall, and will have a high center of gravity, but I don't see why not.
Most of the time I'd see the 600 gallon fuel tanks set up on FMTVs (2 tanks with the pump setup in the middle.

My suggestion though is it would be much easier/safer to operate if you mounted it onto a low trailer, like a car trailer or flatbed utility.
Much lower center of gravity, and you won't have to climb up and down ladders with fuel hoses to 10+ feet in the air in order to refuel.
Downside is you'll definitely require a fuel pump of some type if it's that low, where you might be able to get away with gravity feed if it's on the M1082

The M1082 is over 6k lbs empty and deck height 5 feet high.

You might also consider an older trailer like the M200 or M353. They're still going to be kind of heavy, but they will be a lot lower to the ground.

Remember also you have to have hazmat endorsement and placard anything over 119 gallons of diesel fuel in a single container. If you break up the fuel into multiple smaller containers below that level you can haul as much as you like without the endorsement or placards.

CaCajun

Remember also you have to have hazmat endorsement and placard anything over 119 gallons of diesel fuel in a single container. If you break up the fuel into multiple smaller containers below that level you can haul as much as you like without the endorsement or placards.
Maybe I'm overthinking this and could just place however many 55 gallon drums could fit in the back of it securely without going over the weight limit and handpump the fuel out when needed. Would this take the place of needing baffles in a larger tank or placing baffle balls also?

The thought process for wanting to use the M1082 is in case while on deployment it is needed for high-water operations. Offload the fuel tank or drums and utilize as people are being rescued from flooded areas.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multiple smaller containers will have a lot less surge effect than a single larger one, so unless you plan to have every single one of them at 1/2 full, it shouldn't be an issue.
It would also allow you to have multiple points at which you can refuel, or in the case of the generators you drop off a tank or two next to each when setting up.
Moving 55 gallon drums is still a pain, but with a small crane it shouldn't be that bad. Would be more of an annoyance having to secure all the drums in the back of the trailer.

High water operations was something I hadn't considered. The M1082 would certainly be better for that than a car trailer would be.

Some military trailers have a different rating for on highway/improved roads vs cross country rating. From what I've seen it's usually at least half again the rating (the 6 ton semi trailer is rated 9 tons if used on roads only). The military ratings are extremely conservative, so you're unlikely to overload the trailer.

One other nice thing about fuel drums is you can have additional ones at a base somewhere, so if your field operations last longer than you expect, and there isn't a fuel source nearby available, you could always go back and swap the empty ones for more full ones. Downside is having to treat and rotate your fuel supply to keep it from going bad.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trailer is very high. That is a real high risk of rollover when it sloshes as I don't think those units are baffled. M1095 dual axle cousin might be a better choice.

I rolled on its side a m105 with a 400 gallon water bladder on a dirt road at 15mph so don't ask me how I know....

A m353 trailer would be ideal and plenty to be had cheap out of Albany. very low center of gravity.

A m105 would also be a choice and to make it safer the tires can be dualled.

Also consider a m1061 or xm1073 flat bed with dual axles.

NEIOWA

WAYYYYYY back when dinosaurs walked the earth (late 80s) the Army decided that 600gal pods in M105 trailers lead to very bad outcomes. Command "guidance" to not do that no more. Went to hauling them on 2 axle M796 engineer bolster trailers which worked out very well. I think the M796 is long out of the inventory but has to be something similar.

Perhaps an M1095 trailer would be a better choice than an M1096. As I recall a full pod of diesel will be around 5400lb.

NEIOWA

That trailer is very high. That is a real high risk of rollover when it sloshes as I don't think those units are baffled. M1095 dual axle cousin might be a better choice.

I rolled on its side a m105 with a 400 gallon water bladder on a dirt road at 15mph so don't ask me how I know....

A m353 trailer would be ideal and plenty to be had cheap out of Albany. very low center of gravity.

A m105 would also be a choice and to make it safer the tires can be dualled.

Also consider a m1061 or xm1073 flat bed with dual axles.

I think I'd measure an M353 and as I recall a pod would not fit between the fenders. Do your homework.

M1061 would work well just is rather large for one pod. I had one set up for my FD at one time with a pump and hose at one time. Worked until came up with a better solution.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

CaCajun

Here is a link to ebay on a m353 with a 600 gallon pod. Not my listing.....just found it browsing for something else.
View attachment 862908View attachment 862910View attachment 862911
That....looks....sketch....

but, I did take your advice and emailed a request in to our state office of Federal Surplus and they now have put their feelers out there for my 1st preference of 2 A3 Fuel Bowsers, if nothing comes back from that then for my 2nd preference of 2 MK105 cargo trailers w/fuel pods, and if nothing comes back from that then for my 3rd preference of 2 M796 Bolster trailers w/fuel pods.

I do have to note that when I made my request they initially came back really quick with "We have these that say water, but can be used for fuel. They are stainless tanks that have been painted." Of course when I opened the pictures attached it was of a 400 gallon, single wall, non-vented, water buffalo. Anybody know if this would be acceptable, legal, compliant, feasible, or have any potential? I know in a SHTF scenario some things are given battlefield certification but until we reach that point we try to do better.

Thanks for all the great input so far and any yet to come. It has been much appreciated.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think any mk105 have been released into the wild. Very few m796 have been surplused in the last few years. They could probably get m1061's.
600g Fuel pods come up semi regularly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks