• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 reliabilty as daily work truck.

Ronmar

Instead of resurrecting a 4 year old thread that has nothing to do with your problem, how about you start a new thread with your problem in the title.

please include the year and model truck, and I will be happy to try and help you…

Third From Texas

Ronmar. I am new to this, I am trying learning as I go, have never posted before. Not sure how this works. I own a m1083 , 1998, 6x6, troop cargo, cat 6 motor.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Clean looking rig !

Yeah, as suggested you might want to start your own thread.

Ether is used to assist in cold starts by very briefly altering the fuel/air mix. The ether is stored in a bottle behind the cab. It looks like a little red c02 bottle. Unscrew it and take it in as an exchange for a full tank (they last years but get a fresh tank, most any truck stop sells them). The ether system will only activate when the button is pressed AND air temps are below freezing.

1) As to the non start, CLEAN and INSPECT all your battery connections (at the battery box connection, the polarity box behind the cab, the starter, and the related grounds)
2) Charge EACH battery separately to full (if even one battery drifts below 12.3v you may end up with only a "click" at the starter.
3) First opportunity, add a battery disconnect switch (and use it every night) *these trucks are notorious for suffering 12v vampiric "leaks" overnight

Now here's a suggestion you may want to take into consideration: if you haven't done so yet, change from quad batteries down to duals. It's much more cost efficient replacing only two batteries. And the 100amp alt that comes in the A0 trucks is highly anemic and underpowered for the quad battery setup. It's quite common for these trucks too burn thru alts as a result. Unless you live and operate the truck north of the Arctic Circle, you don't even remotely need four batteries (and we're a bit south of that mess).

But yeah, start a thread for your truck and you'll get a ton of good feedback here.

mrjeffa

Thank you for the response. That was great information. I did get it to start. I put it inside so I can work on it. Going to take your advise, and put 2 batteries in. And take it the 4. Now I have to figure out the right two batteries to put in. I going to start this weekend

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks